Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered the Fluval Flora :). I also ordered an extra light (I will run 2), I ordered 4.4 pounds of specialized fluval substrate (extra), 6 disposable co2 cartridges. Wish me luck! I will post pictures and up dates often. I am planing on putting some Clown Killifish in there (after it is cycled of course) any advice would be wonderful (I have never done a nano tank before)

I need to get a heater for the fluval... my basement is ushualy about 69°F what would be a good small slick heater? I want it to have a temperature control and I want it to last a very long time (if that is possible) Thanks!

I need to get a heater for the fluval... my basement is ushualy about 69°F what would be a good small slick heater? I want it to have a temperature control and I want it to last a very long time (if that is possible) Thanks!

I have the Aqueon Pro 50w in my EBI (shrimp version of Flora) tank and it works great.

I'll be following along for sure :popcorn:

Mr. Limpet said:
I have the Aqueon Pro 50w in my EBI (shrimp version of Flora) tank and it works great.

I'll be following along for sure :popcorn:

Does it have an adjustable temperature control? .... it will be fun to see how it turns out!

Does it have an adjustable temperature control? .... it will be fun to see how it turns out!

Oh yeah, I hate those self temp set ones. It's compact, aluminum body (glass ones scare me given the Stealth Pro Recall), looks good (all black) and has actual temp numbers rather than the +/- joke gauge. On one of them the temp is a bit off from the marks, but others it's spot on, but I use floating/sinking thermometers in all my tanks, so it's a non-issue for me.

I ordered it! :D and I am sitting in English :D I love my smart phone :)

Would anyone mind sending me pictures of there nano fish tanks (I want so ideas how to hard scape it). I am thinking a rock that is just off center with a bunch of Dwarf Baby Tears around it, for the sake of the Clown Killifish I will have some tall plants in the back. Any other ideas would be wonderful! I don't really have the "touch" when it comes to aquascaping.

I want it to be simple yet elegant. I really like forts style but I dont think I am capable of doing that. I was thinking something like this... would this size tank look good done like that?

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 4,624
  • images-4.jpeg
    images-4.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 328
For that type of scape, I bet you could pull off something nice in a Flora. Only a couple plant species with a simple one or two rock/wood hardscape. These scapes work well to make small tanks look a lot larger than they are. I prefer a bit more of a jungle-y natural look in my tanks with a good deal of leaf litter. Here's a shot of my new 5gal -
251676_10150194332044032_670114031_6905822_2833346_n.jpg

I think I will do something similar to this (see picture) but then have a jungle of plants in the back, I want my fish to have lots of hiding places so they will be happy. I think that picture might actually be of a Flora.

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 942
You're going to have to choose between a 'jungle' and a simple scape. A combination of the two just doesn't look all that great IMO.

If you want to do something like that, get some HC, DHG, Blyxa, and GHG. You can make a nice scape with some rocks (check here for info on rock placement) and you can have a very nice tank. This isn't the only way to do one, but seems to be the direction you want to take.

mfdrookie516 said:
You're going to have to choose between a 'jungle' and a simple scape. A combination of the two just doesn't look all that great IMO.

If you want to do something like that, get some HC, DHG, Blyxa, and GHG. You can make a nice scape with some rocks (check here for info on rock placement) and you can have a very nice tank. This isn't the only way to do one, but seems to be the direction you want to take.

Idk why I laughed so hard at the names in that link lol, but it was very helpful!

mfdrookie516 said:

This is why I ask :D what is HC?

HC is an acronym for Hemianthus callitrichoides which is the scientific name for dwarf baby tears. DHG is Dwarf HairGrass, and GHG is Giant HairGrass.

mfdrookie516 said:
Those are all Japanese (I think) names with some apparent historical/cultural meaning... At least, I'm pretty sure.

Ya, I know. I just had a vision of a monk coming up to me and telling me my fukishi was in the wrong place. Lol. Good link though.

mfdrookie516 said:
HC is an acronym for Hemianthus callitrichoides which is the scientific name for dwarf baby tears. DHG is Dwarf HairGrass, and GHG is Giant HairGrass.

You learn something new everyday!

Great link Rookie!

Kinda feng shui for aquariums. ADA sure has it down good.

I am definitely going to give this iwagumi thing a shot (however the heck you pronounce that). What kind of rocks should be used? Are there special iwagumi rocks you can buy?

Back
Top Bottom