Fluval Fresh&Plant 2.0 on 65g tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhansen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! New member, first post, 5 months since aquarium was first setup. I've got Hornwort, two Amazon Swords, one red sword, about 10-15 narrow-leaf Anacharis, and one banana plant. Nothing too fancy.
Problem:
I'm having incredibly slow growth and I'm wondering if the Fluval Fresh&Plant 2.0 is strong enough to reach the bottom of the 65g tall aquarium.
LFS:
My LFS is pretty knowledgeable and I trust what they say. They have nothing to do with any other specie, just fish.
Here is what I've been told for feeding the plants:
My LFS makes their own Liquid Organic Carbon Supplement. I don't have a co2 system. I do realize this will benefit greatly. They said follow the directions on the bottle which states 1ml for every 10 gallons of volume. I have various rocks, and 3" of substrate so there's 55 gallons, I dose just under 6ml once every morning as instructed.
Searched Flourish:
I dose one cap full every Friday. Directions say to add one cap full per 60 gallons once or twice a week. My LFS advised me to dose it once a week. I've been nervous to add more even though I believe this is where my problem is. I'm scared to add too much and have algae grow out of control, however I don't know the outcome because I have not tried, let me know!
Seachem Flourish Tabs:
I put one tab under/extremely close to each plant about two months ago, should I add more now?
Water Changes:
I perform a 35% water change every Saturday religiously. I add the appropriate Stress Coat and Microb-Lift Nite-Out II to the new, tempered water and add.
Substrate:
So I did a little science experiment; I started this tank with 3" of gravel. I noticed the plants started to slow in growth so one month ago I made a 12"x6" acrylic rectangle, put it in one of the corners, emptied the gravel out and poured in 3" of Seachem Flourite Black Sand. I replanted and still, VERY slow growth!
Fish:
I've got three Angels, nine glass catfish, 20 Cloud Minnows, and four guppies. Just two weeks ago, I had two plecos and five additional guppies but they died from what I believe was an infected glass cat.
Filtration: Penguin 350 HOB and a Cascade 1000 canister. The 350 pushes oxygen through the fantastically with the two waterfalls in which I can see the small air bubbles in every corner of the tank.
Plants that have died:
Madagascar Lace, Water Sprite and two other Banana Plants???!!!
Summary:
The plants that I have should all be growing out of control, am I wrong?
However, in my tank whether in sand or gravel, my plants will not grow.
HELP!!!!!!!!!! -thanks

25"
The entire tank is very bright, however I know you can have too much light. I just don't know how intense it is at the bottom.

On the box, should show what the par is at a certain depth. Possibly not enough par or nutrients is possible. Those should grow in low light.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Good to know! I didn't even think of looking on the box. the max depth the chart shows is 18" and the PAR is 66. At 3" it's 470 so it's a pretty dramatic difference.

For those interested, here are the specs on the light fixture. Predicting what the PAR will be at 25" might be tough without an actual meter. As a comparison, at 12" the Finnex Planted+ has a PAR value of 65 and the Finnex 24/7 slightly higher. Both are much less than the 107 PAR from this fixture.
That lighting should be adequate for the plants you have listed. I believe the lace plant is more on the difficult side so perhaps lighting is an issue. I've grown banana plants under regular T-8s with no ferts and they took off. The swords are aggressive root feeders;replenishing the root tabs once a month should help.
As for the guppy deaths...not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At a guess, the deaths sound like a bacterial infection. Except if it's jumping to different fish species I'm surprised it didn't take out more.

Wondering what the organic part of the liquid organic carbon is? If glut that should be fine.

Also stress coat from memory won't detoxify ammonia. So worth checking if tap water had chloramines in it and check ammonia in tank just in case. Actually I'd check tank chemistry for ph and nitrates as well just in case to rule those out as a trigger.

Back
Top Bottom