Fluval Spec III (2.6G)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Meh. I broke down and bought a Fluval Spec III for my office space. Now I'm just sitting here looking at it, trying to figure out what to put in there.

Since it does come with an LED light, I thought I'd ask the peanut gallery if that would still be considered "low-light" or would I be able to get in a few other plants in there?

My main goal is to get a nice planted set up running, without any major flaws. My last planted tank, 5.5 Gallon, actually worked out very well, but unfortunately I had a paranoia freak out and had to break it down during the winter.

Anyhow, I will probably not be stocking it with anything other than snails or shrimp. I've gone back and forth on thinking what I could put in there, from WCMMs to Galaxy Rasboras to a Betta... I've seen a lot of these small fluval tanks online with bettas in it, but I still worry about them being a bit too small for them (or any minimum school size for WCMM or dwarf rasboras) or if there are any temperature issues throughout the night, that it would get too cold (obviously remedied by a heater, but I'd rather not add more plugs to this area if I don't have to.)

Does anyone have experience with stocking these small tanks with anything other than snails or shrimp? I would love the galaxy rasboras one day, but I don't know much about their care other than just what little I've read online. I just worry about the little aquatic critters and what's best for them.

Currently, this tank is empty. I have bought some black gravel, but will most likely look for some plant happy substrate, maybe eco-complete? I'm not sure I want to do the Walstad method again, because it was a little on the messy side... but any suggestions would be lovely!

Thank you!

Although I've never had a fluval spec of any sorts, I do know that the stock LED will limit your plant selection to the low light variety. If you get a small heater, you can keep a scarlet badis in there. I think the galaxy rasboras would appreciate more swimming room since I've noticed mine like to dart around the tank. If not the scarlet, then just stick to shrimp.

Thanks! I will look into the scarlet badis. I'm in the process of set-up right now, kept with low-light plants: a few java ferns, anubias nana, and a luttea crypt. I just want to make sure the plants do awesome before putting any critters in there. The LFS I went to get the plants have quite the selection of shrimp, so I may just run with that.

Update: Got it set up (for now) - I will probably end up adding a couple more plants. But this is what it looks like so far. Also, I've read a bit about the scarlet badis. They seem really cool, but I'm a bit worried about how picky of eaters they seem to be. Not to mention that they supposedly like very dense planting, which I may not have the room for... Also, I think if I would put any in here, there would only be room for one. Anyone else have luck with them?

mlpnyh.jpg

Yeah they are finicky eaters. Maybe you can try some cobra endlers or chili rasboras.

Last edited:
If the light is anything like the light on the Spec V. It's nothing but to make it easier to see what you put in there. "Very low" intensity.

From what I've read, a Finnex Fugeray planted plus will put you solidly into the upper half of medium light. And they come as short as 12" I believe. Maybe 10".

There are a few threads out there of ppl using a 16" on the spec V with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still looking into maybe putting a fish/couple fish in... Looking at very small ones. Anyone have experience with Native Fish? I'm doing research on the Least Killi and Pygmy Sunfish at the moment... I think they would still require live or frozen foods, though. Supposedly they can be kept in a small tank like this. Any opinions?

Update :)

Added a marimo and some water wisteria. Even had a small pearl on the wisteria today! Bought a small apple snail for it, but it's chewing on the algae in my 40 gal for the moment. I don't want to crash the lil' tank too soon if I can help it...

c2ekx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom