Fluval Stratum Plant Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may know I'm beginning with a new planted tank...I went to my LFS for some pointers on plants and such since they are the best in my state and they recommended highly the "Fluval Stratum" substrate. They use it in all their planted tanks (about 10 ranging from 55-90 gal.) and their plants look amazing. So I bought 2 16 lb. bags for $70 and rinsed a bit and put it in my tank. I called them and they said to fill it up and turn the filter on an let it run, and now my tank looks like pond water it's so murky. Is this supposed to be? This was about an hour ago and now since my filter is running I can actually see through it, but when ever I try to move around the substrate it gets cloudy once again. Is this how it's supposed to be? Will it even be beneficial to my plants? I'm considering getting rid of this stuff for something like EcoComplete like a lot of you say is better...so should I just stick with it or what?

Pics of my tank so far...

If you are interested here are some pics of my tank before and after so far...
The second one is before I even started remodeling it (stocked) and the first is how I have it so far. Since I started I have added a 200 gallon canister filter (my tank is 60 gallons) some T5HO 6700K lights, and the substrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 262
I think the cloudy is the way it suppose to be...but the fluval plant stratum is a great substrate like ada aquasoil...
You can do like this...
First turn of the filter...spread the substrate one last time...put any rock, wood or decoration that you like...change 90% of the water...let it stay for 24 hour...
Second, turn the filter back on, put any plant in your tank, change 90% of the water, let it stay for 24 hours
Finally change 30% of the water every 2-3 days until your tank is cycle enough...
Hope it helps

I have the fluval shrimp stratum and I didn't rinse it and it was crystal clear when I added water. I think if I recall your not supposed to rinse it before adding to an aquarium because it is basically soil and when you rinse it it loosens it and causes what you have. The stuff you have is pretty much the same as the shrimp stratum. Did you lay a bowl on the soil then add the water gradually into the bowl?

Back
Top Bottom