Foggy tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had this tank up and running for a couple of months now and it suddenly got very foggy. It is more of a white fog, not so much green so probably a bacteria? Its a 10 gallon and I dose excel daily, DIY co2, have an aquaclear 30 on it, finnex fugeray light. There is only 2 RCS in there. I dont know what it is or how to treat it. Should I add some active carbon? Any advice will help.
img_2580624_0_91e02f678c686f95205ec51e8612a3d5.jpg

img_2580624_1_c0e5c32913cc863ba8a5d97a120012ef.jpg

Could possibly be green water. Take a sample to your Lfs and say you think you might have a green water problem. A UV sterilizer will fix it permanently, but is not necessary unless you need it.

Have a look at the water in a white container. Is it white or green/brown? Make sure the diy co2 is not letting yeast into the tank.

The water looks clear in a white container. No yeast is going through the tubes. Maybe a bacterial bloom?

My guess is also a bacterial bloom...shrimp have a very small bio-load,so just having 2 shrimp may not be sufficient enough to maintain an active bio-filter...I'd suggest adding more shrimp & or a small school of neon tetra,should be no harm to your shrimp..

I dont really want to go out and buy or more importantly have the $ to go and buy a UV sterilizer. But I am getting a school of cardinal tetras or chili rasboras in a couple weeks for my birthday.

Do you have a test kit atleast? Especially for a planted tank you need one. Its a vital ingredient

Just tested:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 0
Nitrites- 0
I think there are zeros all across the board because nothing is making ammonia.

I see in your original post you dose excel daily. Try abstaining from dosing for a day or two. An over abundance of glut in the water can cause a haze.

You can also try adding some purigen to the filter. It helps by absorbing dissolved organics that bacteria can feed on.

Just tested:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 0
Nitrites- 0
I think there are zeros all across the board because nothing is making ammonia.

Umm your not cycled. You cant really cycle with shrimp. Go get a small goldfish if your gonna keep the shrimp to cycle

^^ +1

Oh... dont use purigen while cycling.. it's great to use after a tank has cycled, however. It's commonly used in shrimp tanks.

The tank has up and running for 81 days. I had a whole bunch of shrimp in there before and levels were great but I accidentally dumped a bunch of excel in the tank and it wiped all but 2 of the shrimp out. It was cycled. IDK if not having ammonia can uncycle a tank. But it was cycled.

Back
Top Bottom