For $200 and a trip to Aruba...name this Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I just purchased an Anubias, simply labeled an "Assorted Anubias". It seems to have longer narrower leaves than the other Anubiases (Anubiae?) that I've seen. Can anyone tell me what variety this appears to be?

I went ahead and planted it in my tank, I'm hoping it's a variety that can grow in substrate.

Thanks!
DesktopD

Attachments

• 20190111_231824.jpg
    20190111_231824.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190111_231915.jpg
    20190111_231915.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190111_232528.jpg
    20190111_232528.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 65
The roots hanging down can grow in substrate, the fatter stem which the leaves come off of cannot be planted under the substrate.

Just tug it up so that it is above the substrate with a bit of space underneath, you can also just stick a rock under the Rhizome part, the fat stem.

Thanks Autumn,

You're right, my plant looks exactly like any one of the four you mentioned! Which doesn't really narrow it down but I suppose their care is so similar it doesn't really matter.

Darn it, I was thinking an Anubias was not a rhizome plant because I wanted a substrate plantable one. I already have a Java Windelov that I glued on a rock, and I wanted a plant to replace the Red something-or-another that I already killed and had to remove. I'll just pull it up a bit, maybe it can just sit loosely on the gravel.

By the way, can you give me an assessment on my Banana Plant?

I have two, the other one looks larger and greener, this little guy looks rather brown. I pulled off a dead leaf the other day and am unsure if he's doing well. He seems to have some faint fuzz around him and that doesn't seem like a good thing.

Sorry about the orientation of my pics. It doesn't matter how I rotate them they always post upside down.

Attachments

• 20190112_012905.jpg
    20190112_012905.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 50
If one of the "banana" roots is rotting trim it off. If just fuzzy rinse the bottom off in the faucet, rub off any fuzzy thing you can. It is likely dying.

I have had awesome luck with some and often they turn to mush bit by bit. They like light.

Even a DW twig or a river stone or yard rock if it doesn't have any poison stuff on it. under the rhizome. Roots grow in fine.

I can't tell which one is decaying, they all look the same to me. I will do the rinsing and rub off the fuzz though.

Darn it, the fish store employee told me the Banana Plants would do fine when I described my aquarium conditions. But he also sold me the Red-whatever and I was certain that one wasn't on anyone's Plants For the Beginner Aquarist list.

Too bad, I really like unusual looking plants. I bought the Anubias because I was killing everything else even though I don't particularly prefer the traditional looking leaves.

The twig is a great idea, I don't really have room for another rock. Would a teeny tiny...literally a twig...of driftwood sink and hold the plant down? I've never used driftwood before.

Thanks!

You got those from Petco or PetSmart didn't you?

I got the same thing with no real description all in my 29g and I'm limited in plant knowledge so I planted it in my gravel with the roots submerged and part of the stem not knowing any better. They are still alive and well. I did this in sand in my betta tank and killed it. It seems that gravel is a little more forgiving when it comes to the depth it's planted.

I purchased the Anubias and the Java Fern from Petco. I suppose the average Petco consumer is a novice like myself and doesn't delve too far into intricacies like specific varieties. I purchased these plants because I like the snail-free condition of the plants-in-a-tube.

They might not be all that but they grow great under a stock under the hood LED strip and I use Thrive liquid fertilizer. Can't complain about that

Back
Top Bottom