Foreground plant id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to the lake today and found this stuff I have never seen anything like it. It is definantly not sag or chain sword the biggest piece I saw was only about 11/2" tall it propagates by runners and it can survive low temps lake had to be high 50s. I think it looks cool it is an even smaller dwarf sag and I'm going to try to carpet some of it in my 20 high tech. Any ideas

Attachments

• image-487782617.jpg
    image-487782617.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 79
Not sure.. but pretty cool to find that in nature and then try to grow it at home. I'd like to see if anyone can ID it.

It really resembles dwarf sag based on how the leaves are sprouting from the base. Or perhaps another species of Sagittaria. It is possible that the cooler temperature and (assumed) shortened daylight hours may have resulted in a smaller version of dwarf sag. The same plants may look entirely different in late spring or summer.

I threw some dwarf sag into a pot of gravel and soil last fall and placed it into a small water feature outside. It is staying compact and green despite being under ice for a few weeks this winter. Hopefully it will survive the rest of the winter and bounce back when the weather warms up.

It really resembles dwarf sag based on how the leaves are sprouting from the base. Or perhaps another species of Sagittaria. It is possible that the cooler temperature and (assumed) shortened daylight hours may have resulted in a smaller version of dwarf sag. The same plants may look entirely different in late spring or summer. I threw some dwarf sag into a pot of gravel and soil last fall and placed it into a small water feature outside. It is staying compact and green despite being under ice for a few weeks this winter. Hopefully it will survive the rest of the winter and bounce back when the weather warms up.

im gonna try to grow it and see what it turns into. i think it could be some type of sag that would explain the low temperature capabilities, and just the over all look of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom