Foreground plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I think I created a little situation for myself. I have a newly cycled tank and am now wanting to add plants. My question is what foreground plants I can grow with my setup. I have a 72 gallon bowfront with a 3/54w 65kK fixture and pressurized CO2. I think I have a problem with the tank being a bow front and a depth of almost 24" with 2.5 watts per gallon. I have a Java Fern towards the front which is doing well and another plant I have yet to identify. I think baby tears are out of the question but what about other foreground plants? How about 4 leaf clover or others? The 3 bulb is all I could afford at the time, do I need to by a one bulb fixture?
Thanks in advance.

Baby tears aren't out of the question, but dwarf baby tears are IMO. Marselia Minuta is also an option, it'll do well in low or high light.

I thought that there was only dwarf baby tears, glad to hear I have a couple of options. I was thinking that I might have to buy a one bulb fixture. :(

Yeah, baby tears are Hemianthus micranthemoides (HM), while dwarf baby are Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC).

FWIW, this is baby tears that I grew in a 10g with a 15w fluorescent fixture (algae and all):
img_1383539_0_dd93639e8e7d2e98097158eb9b2d76fc.jpg

See, that's really pretty, I would love my tank to have a carpeting like that. Going to the lfs to by plants and I'm going to try a pot of the baby tears

I also really like the Marselia Minuta too! Now I have more to look for tomorrow. Thanks mfdrook!

Back
Top Bottom