Four leaf clover w/ high light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would four leaf clover make a good low maintenance foreground for a high light, co2 injected with pps pro dosing. I was using dhg but it took way to much upkeep. I had to trim it every 2 weeks and trimmings were always all over the place. If you have any experiences with this plant your input would be appreciated.

I assume you're referring to marsilea quadrifolia? With that setup you shouldn't have any problem growing it. Really, if you could get DHG to grow well, then you shouldn't have a problem with much of anything. The question is really less of what you can grow and more if what kind of a look or texture you're looking for. Unfortunately, most foregrounds will require fairly regular maintenance by nature in order to look well kempt.

If DHG tickled your fancy but the maintenance was what ruined it, you might look into a lilaeopsis species. They're generally fairly slow growing (at least compared to eleocharis) and have a similar look. Either brasiliensis or mauritiana might be what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I assume you're referring to marsilea quadrifolia? With that setup you shouldn't have any problem growing it. Really, if you could get DHG to grow well, then you shouldn't have a problem with much of anything. The question is really less of what you can grow and more if what kind of a look or texture you're looking for.
Yea I am talking about Marsilea quadrifolia. I just want I nice green low maintenance foreground lol. How fast does this plant usually grow? I can't find much about it on the internet.

Oh bugger, you responded before I was done editing. I added some to my last post.

Most of the marsilea genus will growth slower than similar species, eg hydrocotyle. That being said, pretty much any plant will grow quickly under high light and co2. It's a double edged sword or sorts. I don't have much experience with that particular plant in high light setups, but I imagine it would grow slower than DHG, but tend to grow more out than up (ie get into its neighbors more). It would also probably not bounce back from trims as quickly.

Oh bugger, you responded before I was done editing. I added some to my last post. Most of the marsilea genus will growth slower than similar species, eg hydrocotyle. That being said, pretty much any plant will grow quickly under high light and co2. It's a double edged sword or sorts. I don't have much experience with that particular plant in high light setups, but I imagine it would grow slower than DHG, but tend to grow more out than up (ie get into its neighbors more). It would also probably not bounce back from trims as quickly.
I could appreciate a plant that grows out instead of up. I only had enough of the Marsilea quadrifolia to split it into 5 bunches so we'll see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom