FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drop checkers gone bad. After a period of neglect, I finally got around to cleaning and refilling these. I found the one on the left floating around a couple hours later and pushed it against the glass again. It later detached and sank. The indicator fluid in the one on the right mysteriously leaked out. Oh well.
VjLLfnuh.jpg

I'm a patient person, however, I can see me taking chunks out of the established HC Cuba carpet and planting it on the left side of the tank where I've placed the ones from the terrarium. It's not that I don't have patience for the new growth; the carpet on the right is starting to lift up in spots due to overcrowding.
maQFUsFh.jpg

Atleast u can get yours to stick! Mines all been pulled out again! I've basically thrown all of it out!

I've gone away from those drop checkers and to a solid glass one. I think mine used to slowly leak. I'd love to get some of the double drop checkers that also have a reference solution but bit expensive. Nice glassware though.

I took out both drop checkers and placed the non-leaking one in the HOB filter box. It should register a color change since CO2 is being fed into the intake tube so I'm dubious on its accuracy.
IE1xx84h.jpg
9czaQbVh.jpg

Morning shenanigans! I did a rare morning miniscape. The patch of Staurogyne repens near the center of the layout started to bother me. I did not want that to be the focus. So I trimmed the tips and moved those to the left, front section of the tank. I extended the HC Cuba patch to the now vacated center area. The Pogostemon erectus and downoi are now in the right rear corner. A lot of AR mini and staur repens were removed. Some general trimming of the other plants.
The lumpy parts of the HC Cuba separated cleanly from the rest of the patch (a sign of overcrowding perhaps). Once the carpet fills in it will look more contiguous. I did my best in burying the HC Cuba so that it will stay put.
TkjRko8h.jpg

What about a stepping stone path - a number of small flat stones like in a flagstone walkway??? You could chip them into shapes to kinda puzzle them together. You know, when you get spare time on a weekend - chip, number and fit..., then the next time you get up early in the morning push by numbers into place!

Halfway serious, just a little ribbing for the early morning rescape. Gotta do the work when you have a spare moment!

But really, as usual, it looks good.

Anyhoo, look into a large stone of whatever type you decide on for the area around the center. Or a grouping of stones.

Is the back right stems baby tears? If so how do u make them so filled out? Do u just plant the stems really close together?

I'm struggling to really fill out my plants. Can u just cut the stems down or do u have to cut and remove the cut stem and replant the top?

You know me and hardscape... something I need to work on. A path requires discipline. Certainly doable since I don't vacuum. Whenever it came to real estate and the choice between plants or hard scape... the plants usually won out. But some new stones should add interest to this layout if properly positioned. I'm game.
Here is a close up of the right corner:
UA9IyS1h.jpg

If I am starting with 2-3 stem plants, when they get to 1/2-3/4 height of the tank, I cut them back to about 1/3 and replant the tops. I continue to do that until I get a nice grouping. At some point I pull the entire plant, snip off the top, and only plant the trimming. Depends on the plant. With the narrow ones like Ludwigia, Ammania bonsai, and Pogostemon, it's typically trim and replant. It adds volume to the grouping. With broader plants such as AR mini and staur repens, I will do that initially and then later pull the plant (with extensive roots is a messy task) and only plant the trimmings.

You know me and hardscape... something I need to work on. A path requires discipline. Certainly doable since I don't vacuum. Whenever it came to real estate and the choice between plants or hard scape... the plants usually won out. But some new stones should add interest to this layout if properly positioned. I'm game.
Here is a close up of the right corner:
UA9IyS1h.jpg

If I am starting with 2-3 stem plants, when they get to 1/2-3/4 height of the tank, I cut them back to about 1/3 and replant the tops. I continue to do that until I get a nice grouping. At some point I pull the entire plant, snip off the top, and only plant the trimming. Depends on the plant. With the narrow ones like Ludwigia, Ammania bonsai, and Pogostemon, it's typically trim and replant. It adds volume to the grouping. With broader plants such as AR mini and staur repens, I will do that initially and then later pull the plant (with extensive roots is a messy task) and only plant the trimmings.

From my observations the majority of professional scapers use an either or approach when it comes to hardscape. Rock formations or wood placement. There must be a reason from an aesthetic standpoint. Perhaps sometimes less is more and the pros do like to have that simplicity factor. I can understand your reluctance to use rocks/pebbles etc. I agree that when 'fitting more things in' like rocks for example it has to be properly laid out in order add to the scape rather than detract.

I also agree that the stem bottoms have to come out in most cases which is a really PITA and nobody actually enjoys uprooting.

Ah good to know! I didn't know if I was going about it the right way haha. I'm just impatient. A lot of my plants are now getting side shoots etc so it shouldn't be too long before they start to beef up abit!

Managed to find some AR mini and ST repens so they will be here mid week! Can finally start a carpet again!

Managed to find some AR mini and ST repens so they will be here mid week! Can finally start a carpet again!

Glad you found these. They make a nice pairing next to each other; somewhat similar leaf shape yet green-red contrast. When kept short, they make nice carpeting plants.

My tank gets sunlight during the day. Maybe a couple hours of direct sun.
LmiaU96h.jpg
YQVH9QTh.jpg
I don't think the plants mind.
Yes, that's the drop checker hanging out of the filter. Blue now, should be green in a few hours.
Still toying with the idea of using a small pump or power head to run a CO2 reactor (DIY or maybe Sera Flore or ISTA). But that would mean more "things" in the tank. Of course, a canister could also be used to power this device. So far what I have CO2 wise is working (If it ain't broke...).

Nice fresh I jus got my glass outflow an inflow take a look now I need a smaller heater the eheim Jager is jus too big

I would guess those AC filters are just as efficient as an actual reactor. I agree, no reason to switch unless you want a canister. My reactor is well-hidden behind a crypt jungle so I don't mind it being in the tank. I've considered an inline but the possibility of leaks worries me.

I know your pain. I hate having anything in the tank. If I ever upgrade to a rimless tank id run a canister with inline heater and my inline diffuser. Also Lilly pipes. I hate seeing the hardware but those inline heaters are extremely expensive for something that does the same job as one inside the tank

I know your pain. I hate having anything in the tank. If I ever upgrade to a rimless tank id run a canister with inline heater and my inline diffuser. Also Lilly pipes. I hate seeing the hardware but those inline heaters are extremely expensive for something that does the same job as one inside the tank
Exactly why I haven't gotten a inline heater

My CO2 tank ran out. Last week. Actually, there was still some gas left in the regulator as it read 60 psi (working pressure) even though the tank gauge registered 0 psi. I let the tank bleed out today. Went to the sports store to get it refilled and found out that they could only put in about 5 oz before the main CO2 tank ran out. They will l have more in a few days. I was not charged for this partial fill.
Took it home and hooked it up. Surprisingly, it registered 900 psi. I must run lean with CO2 because I'm averaging 4.5 months between refills. This is a 24 oz CO2 paintball tank.
I might have some new plants in a few weeks. Still working out the details. On the fence where I want to go with this tank. Continue with the Dutch theme or incorporate more hardscape and less plants...not sure.
Here's a pic from tonight:
U3fUG9th.jpg

My CO2 tank ran out. Last week. Actually, there was still some gas left in the regulator as it read 60 psi (working pressure) even though the tank gauge registered 0 psi. I let the tank bleed out today. Went to the sports store to get it refilled and found out that they could only put in about 5 oz before the main CO2 tank ran out. They will l have more in a few days. I was not charged for this partial fill.
Took it home and hooked it up. Surprisingly, it registered 900 psi. I must run lean with CO2 because I'm averaging 4.5 months between refills. This is a 24 oz CO2 paintball tank.
I might have some new plants in a few weeks. Still working out the details. On the fence where I want to go with this tank. Continue with the Dutch theme or incorporate more hardscape and less plants...not sure.
Here's a pic from tonight:
U3fUG9th.jpg

You spent a lot of time on the Dutch scape. Any particular reason you fancy a change? You could incorporate a lot of nice rock work in to this tank. Keep it simple?

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom