FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just can't read "Dutch" and not think about Goldmember. Lol

Hahaha. My attempt at creating a Dutch style aquascape went okay, it's just that I got tired of trying to keep it trimmed properly and wanted to try something different. Sold almost all of my plants and started looking into an Iwugami setup. I wish I found these stones three months ago. Oh well.

Closeup of the large cluster on the right. Oyaishi is the term for the largest stone. CPD photobomb:
sL97bRu.jpg
The stone on the left is known as Fukuishi (learning the lingo):
P4RgHt8.jpg
Regarding the yellow bare patches in front; this is what happens if the carpet gets too thick. Plants dying off underneath. This is why it is important to keep up with maintenance (including regular trimming).

Cal - I did watch this a few times. Lots of info in here. Just wondering how my plants would do using a rich substrate such as the ADA brand.
If I were starting from scratch, then the raised cliffs in the corner would be an interesting feature. Unfortunately, I'm 3 months in (with fish), so a major design change is not the best option at this time. I simply swapped out the old stones with the new stones because I wanted to keep the current layout (and did not want to pull up the carpet).

Yes, briefly. I was under the impression that it catered more towards shrimp keeping. I could be wrong.
At this point there will be no substrate change unless I break down this tank.

There used to be two varieties plant or shrimp, different sizes perhaps, now there is one for both.

Not sure how long this carpet will be in place. At some point I may have to rip it up and start again. That could be months, idk.
I am trimming it about every 1-2 weeks. That may not be enough. Not just for the aesthetics, but where the carpet gets too thick, I'm finding it is not attaching very well to the substrate. Or it just could be the substrate. It could be the way I started it; clumps tied to 1"x1" squares of stainless steel mesh. Great for coverage and staying in place. However, perhaps too "lumpy". I have pulled out a few of the stainless steel squares that are devoid of vegetation; fishing line intact but the stems/roots rotted away.
Pic of the carpet and a bald spot:
77WN2tb.jpg
Staurogyne repens planted in the open spot:
bnHr4Hk.jpg
WQY9KUt.jpg

Looks good. I'm not an adept carpet grower but I'd say planting in clumps is the culprit. I'd snip up the clumps and just replant the bald areas with small HC plantlet's.

Looks good. I'm not an adept carpet grower but I'd say planting in clumps is the culprit. I'd snip up the clumps and just replant the bald areas with small HC plantlet's.

Yea I agree, however planting plantlets in Eco is a hard task. I feel that Ada or Tropica would be much more carpet friendly. That's why I scrapped the HC carpet and have gone with a S repens carpet. Eco is more stem friendly [emoji106]✌️

Yea I agree, however planting plantlets in Eco is a hard task. I feel that Ada or Tropica would be much more carpet friendly. That's why I scrapped the HC carpet and have gone with a S repens carpet. Eco is more stem friendly [emoji106]✌️
It's pretty easy with stratum at least with me never used eco before how's your tank Bert

Thanks for the replies. I'm just going to let the carpet grow in where it wants. Some parts are looking shifty; I may just pull up those sections and let it fill in on its own. Right now there is a border war between the HC and staur repens; repens wins every time.
I've noticed a lateral growth pattern with the staur repens since December. It is actually carpeting. I want to attribute this to the lighting or CO2, but these are not new elements to this tank.
I ran out of CO2 over the weekend. I unplugged the Planted+; just running the 24/7 in 24/7 mode. Going to dose some glut as a precaution (I got away from daily additions a while back). Hopefully will get the tank filled today. Someone remind me why I should get a backup tank (that was a note to self).
Now imgur is over capacity so this will be a direct image post.IMG_2282.jpg

Back
Top Bottom