Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I just got back from vacation. Here is a before and after shot (6/28 - 7/6):

The Bacopa reached the surface and curled along the top. Water lettuce roots nearly reach the substrate. Both dwarf sag groups got thicker with several new runners. Lots of MTS and FW limpets.
I know it was only 8 days but when you don't see it everyday you really notice the changes.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Trimmed the Bacopa and now I have ~40 stems sitting in a tray of water (for now). I will replant some of them in this tank. There is room for several stems in the shrimp tank although the lighting is less intense in there. The rest may go out in my small garden water feature (pond is not an appropriate term for it). Here is the tank after the trimming: http://i.imgur.com/zfvS8zj.jpg

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Tank after trimming the Bacopa
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Bought a new stand today, put it together and moved the tank to the other side of the room. Petco had a sale; $109 reduced to $52. Drilled a hole in the back panel for electrical cords and CO2 tubing. Transfer went smoothly.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Just an update: Before and After pics for DIY CO2 over a 6 week period. I add Excel daily but the addition of CO2 gas has made a notable difference.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The plant growing in front of the DW sent several leaves across the surface so I cleared some space and moved it to the back. I can see the DW again! Now there is more room for the dwarf sag to spread. There are 4 dwarf sag runners heading toward the back of the tank so I use plant weights to "steer" the runners in a more favorable direction.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking good... you're plants certainly look happy! Especially adding in some co2 w/ excel! Are you using a FugeRay or Ray 2?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Looking good... you're plants certainly look happy! Especially adding in some co2 w/ excel! Are you using a FugeRay or Ray 2?
Thanks! It's a FugeRay. Can't really see it from the pic because there is a (Old Scales had a name for it...from where I got the idea for it) "something" sitting on the top of the tank. I went to the craft store and picked up a sheet of black heavyweight poster board. Cut it in half and used it as a background for my 20g long shrimp tank. Was going to use the other half for this tank but decided to cut it long wise and rest it on the top at an angle. It blocks the light deflection. It is also painted silver on the underside to help reflect light back to the tank. The light deflection is caused by the glass tops I am using. Originally went topless but did not like the evaporation rate. Had a glass top that had a broken rubber hinge. Removed the hinge and now just place the glass panes on the top to cut down on evaporation.

I just remembered, OS called them light baffles.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's crazy how much moss can grow. I just recently pulled a fist sized mound of it out of my 55 and ended up throwing it into one of my shrimp breeder tanks. They didn't seem to complain about that at all
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It's crazy how much moss can grow. I just recently pulled a fist sized mound of it out of my 55 and ended up throwing it into one of my shrimp breeder tanks. They didn't seem to complain about that at all
I had a large piece of DW with Flame moss and another type of moss. Looked fine early on but looked unkept after a while. Was not feasible to remove (for trimming) so I had to trim in-tank and attempt to siphon out all of the stragglers. What a mess. Plus it was a magnet for string/hair algae. DW gone, moss gone (same as you, moss went into the shrimp tank).

Tags
20 gallon, cap, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com