FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you considered propagating that marsilea across the entire left third of the tank? Your foreground is ripe for development IMO. Alternately, you can look at another foreground to experiment with.

Not until now. Interesting. Before the rescape, it was doing quite well on the right side of the tank. It would send runners in areas less preferable (amongst the crypts, dwarf sag, and overcrowded swords). I pulled up what I could and put the "stray trigs" outside into a small water feature (performed "pond") along with the other trimmings. Yesterday I noticed arial growth not only from the Bacopa carolinana, but from the Marsilea (species starts with a "q") as well. Cool.
I will consider selecting a foreground plant if not the Marsilea. For now, I am enjoying openness at the front of the tank.

I think the stones would look better if you had all one color. I like the gray ones... Then maybe some smaller stones and gravel spread around as well, would give a more natural look, than only a few large stones.

I think the stones would look better if you had all one color. I like the gray ones... Then maybe some smaller stones and gravel spread around as well, would give a more natural look, than only a few large stones.
I removed the tan and white stones. Good thing I did because I noticed a runner sprouting from my crypt where the stones were. Added a few more gray stones and buried them into the substrate a bit. Still need to get some Erythromycin to kill the lovely Cyanobacteria.
LcMJhkZ.jpg

Still not sure what to put in the front left corner.

I removed the tan and white stones. Good thing I did because I noticed a runner sprouting from my crypt where the stones were. Added a few more gray stones and buried them into the substrate a bit. Still need to get some Erythromycin to kill the lovely Cyanobacteria.

Still not sure what to put in the front left corner.

Staurogyne repens mabey or something short and red.

Regarding Staurogyne, will it require periodic trimming to maintain its height (and if so I can replant the cuttings)?
Was also thinking something red like red tiger lotus.

It's max height is only a few inches and you can eeithrt replant the trimmings or snip off and plant the side shoots

Regarding Staurogyne, will it require periodic trimming to maintain its height (and if so I can replant the cuttings)?
Was also thinking something red like red tiger lotus.

Yes, and yes. I would be worried that a lotus would be too big for that spot and obscure the stuff behind it.

Hydrocoytle species would work fine. Sibthorpioides would be a easily acquirable and work as well as the more exotic species.

Double score!
mGBfJz6.jpg

Went to Petsmart and found Staurogyne repens and Erythromycin. There were two packs of the Staurogyne but one of them did not look so good (brown). I also saw Pogostemon helferi and Crypt wendtii (green and tropica), undulata, and balansae.

Bye bye Cyano!

Double score! Went to Petsmart and found Staurogyne repens and Erythromycin. There were two packs of the Staurogyne but one of them did not look so good (brown). I also saw Pogostemon helferi and Crypt wendtii (green and tropica), undulata, and balansae. Bye bye Cyano!
Haha that's funny. One time I bought the same thing while I was treating cyano.

Haha that's funny. One time I bought the same thing while I was treating cyano.

Of course, the four leaf clover which I was going to remove from the front left corner to make room for the Staurogyne is pearling (from the roots) as if to say "No, don't pull me out...I'm sending out new shoots!"

I am going to leave the Staurogyne in the plastic bag and place it near the light fixture for a few days while I treat the tank for cyano.

I might move the four leaf clover to the shrimp tank once the cyano is gone.

Q: Can the "chain" of four leaf clover be severed? If so, it would make it easier when I comes to replanting it.

So I bought some Staurogyne repens last week and decided to plant it after the cyano in my plant tank cleared up. It is a tissue culture pack from PetSmart:
miBn36Z.jpg

Here is the area I want to plant it:
Y4PgOqo.jpg

I rinse off the gel and separate the plants as much as possible. It was difficult to remove just single stems because it felt like some clumps just would not divide.
9d6Viii.jpg

Here is the four leaf clover I just removed. Not sure what to do with it. I may replant it in another part of the tank:
CnIpByg.jpg

Before planting:
BNEaUB5.jpg

After planting:
YwyE6Jp.jpg

Close up:
HjzX9jG.jpg

I did not realize how small this plant was. Tweezers would have been helpful. Keeping these plants rooted my be a challenge. Just a few hours later I see one already uprooted. I have no bottom feeders other than MTS and one Amano shrimp so either I did not plant it deep enough or one of the MTS dislodged it. Fingers crossed that it will establish itself.

Toothpicks! I've resorted to using toothpicks to keep the newly planted Staurogyne repens from floating away. I believe the MTS are uprooting them. I've put toothpicks in most of the plants. I'll remove them once the plants set down decent roots.
7eUuguI.jpg

Also, I remember when I got Bacopa carolinana from a gel tissue pack...it was tiny. Once it started filling out, the leaves got (relatively) large. I'm hoping the same occurs with this plant.

I've used toothpicks lots of times to anchor things down! They can be very handy little tools!

I've used toothpicks lots of times to anchor things down! They can be very handy little tools!

Yes they are! Of course wife asking me what am I doing (handful of toothpicks heading towards the aquarium). I just tell her "It's a fish thing, you wouldn't understand."

Woke up this morning to find that the MTS had dislodged one plant + toothpick. Just buried it a bit deeper. The ones I set at an angle seem to hold better and straight up and down.

I'm thinking that the Staurogyne repens will get much bigger than their current tissue culture state. That's what happened to the Bacopa carolinana I got from a gel pack.

I got a bacopa monniere culture to try out in my tank, I didn't know how well cultures in gel bags worked. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Darn phone ap, added two pics
Anyway, nice tank btw=)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131007_130840.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131007_130840.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 142
  • ForumRunner_20131007_130900.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131007_130900.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 141
I got a bacopa monniere culture to try out in my tank, I didn't know how well cultures in gel bags worked. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Darn phone ap, added two pics
Anyway, nice tank btw=)

Thanks. Generally the culture gel packs work quite well. The Bacopa i had pretty much attained weed status in my tank so I moved it to a tank with lower light.

Darn phone app. I have a black trash bag taped to the back of my tank as a background. Definitely not as interesting as yours :)

Thanks. Generally the culture gel packs work quite well. The Bacopa i had pretty much attained weed status in my tank so I moved it to a tank with lower light.

Darn phone app. I have a black trash bag taped to the back of my tank as a background. Definitely not as interesting as yours :)

Bahaha lol, it was a vinyl my boss had made of me. Lol thought it would familiarize my fish with me xD (i did a photoshoot for his shampoo company lol)

& that's good to know that the packs are good:D I plan on getting some rotala next!

Back
Top Bottom