FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That layout is pretty perfect imo. I'd check the midnight rescapes for a while;) sorry to hear about the fish loss.. I've recently figured out I can't keep cpds happy either?? Not sure if it's my tank or what, I'm down to 2, started with 7..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish it was frogbit. It's water lettuce. Not dwarf, just regular. In the summer outdoors it gets wide as a grapefruit. In my tank it might as well be duckweed. Reproduces quickly and probably sucking up lots of nutrients. I am netting it out every other week. I think the fish appreciate the shade but the plants may not. Cool thing is the the LFS takes it and gives me 20% livestock coupons.
I've thought about adding Harlequin rasboras until I saw Porkchop Rasboras at the LFS. Slightly smaller and more colorful IMO, these might be a better fit in my tank.
Kuhli loaches are still a thought as well. Ideal hiding places for them. Would definitely added entertainment value to the tank. And they would be well fed.
I like the scape as is. I may ditch the UG in the front left (it grows but won't stay in the substrate on account of the MTS) and spread the stars like a wave across the front of the tank.
The pics are from normal hours; just posted them late. But I have done 2 am rescapes before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish it was frogbit. It's water lettuce. Not dwarf, just regular. In the summer outdoors it gets wide as a grapefruit. In my tank it might as well be duckweed. Reproduces quickly and probably sucking up lots of nutrients. I am netting it out every other week. I think the fish appreciate the shade but the plants may not. Cool thing is the the LFS takes it and gives me 20% livestock coupons.
I've thought about adding Harlequin rasboras until I saw Porkchop Rasboras at the LFS. Slightly smaller and more colorful IMO, these might be a better fit in my tank.
Kuhli loaches are still a thought as well. Ideal hiding places for them. Would definitely added entertainment value to the tank. And they would be well fed.
I like the scape as is. I may ditch the UG in the front left (it grows but won't stay in the substrate on account of the MTS) and spread the stars like a wave across the front of the tank.
The pics are from normal hours; just posted them late. But I have done 2 am rescapes before ?
Micro rasboras, lots of them!

img_3192950_0_c7f3a1c7b57f72b2e35712af625eabf6.jpg

And yes, kuhlis (y)

Sorry about the losses though, very frustrating when you can't figure out why. The tank really is gorgeous though!

I just emailed to see how much shipping would be. I might add to my school of chilis.

You guys/gals are such a bad influence ?? Pretty fish those rasboras.

I think I figured out what killed the Furcatas last week. Excess CO2. Today I turned the lights and CO2 on early in the day while doing a water change. I forgot to set them back to the timer schedule. I was out most of the day and after 1 AM I noticed the light (and CO2) were still on and a Furcata gasping at the surface. One drop checker was a yellowish lime green. Did a pair of 30% WCs and left the filters running to maximize surface agitation and gas exchange. Furcata is still at the surface; will have to check on him in the morning. I will be decreasing the CO2 bps as well.

Ooooo maybe that is it!! Not to be excited like yay your fish are dead but it's always nice to figure out why. And especially something that is a relatively easy fix

And then there was one ?
I found the one gasping at the surface stuck to the filter intake this morning. The remaining one is still swimming around. Very sad considering this is a preventable situation (if it is the CO2). I was thinking of setting up something at night (air pump, powerhead) on a timer at night to dissipate the CO2. *However*, the damage appears to be done during the day. Last week the CO2 was not on longer than I usually set it. The bps is running around 4-5 which is high but I'm getting dark green on one DC and very light green on the Fluval DC. It is not yellow; I've seen the DC yellow before after turning the needle valve the wrong way last year.
Going to dial back on the CO2 today. Should be fine because the plants are growing fine and algae is not an issue. Only dealing with BBA on the DW and H2O2 is turning it bright red.
A little soon but I have looked at other nano members. Found a pic of some rasboras:
V1o67iJ.png

I might chill until I get the canister and reactor setup. Plus there is a big auction next month...need to leave some room for that.

And then there was one ?
I found the one gasping at the surface stuck to the filter intake this morning. The remaining one is still swimming around. Very sad considering this is a preventable situation (if it is the CO2). I was thinking of setting up something at night (air pump, powerhead) on a timer at night to dissipate the CO2. *However*, the damage appears to be done during the day. Last week the CO2 was not on longer than I usually set it. The bps is running around 4-5 which is high but I'm getting dark green on one DC and very light green on the Fluval DC. It is not yellow; I've seen the DC yellow before after turning the needle valve the wrong way last year.
Going to dial back on the CO2 today. Should be fine because the plants are growing fine and algae is not an issue. Only dealing with BBA on the DW and H2O2 is turning it bright red.
A little soon but I have looked at other nano members. Found a pic of some rasboras:
V1o67iJ.png

I might chill until I get the canister and reactor setup. Plus there is a big auction next month...need to leave some room for that.

The mini&crossbanded are sweet!

Harleys are pretty tough, look great too. That's my vote!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lots of options depending on what look you're going for! I have maculatus and merah in one tank, dwarf amber barbs in another. Tiny fish that are really messing with my eyesight...

Fresh your tank is awesometastic

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a colorful fish killing tank! Nah, totally preventable. As a matter of fact, I just turned on the CO2 I adjusted it to 1.5 bps and then shut it off. I don't plan on doing anything else with the tank tank today besides feed the fish and replant some stray star repens stems (decided the extend the stars all the way across the tank).
Not thinking about restocking anything real soon. I want to make sure things are stable. Lots of options to work with and I appreciate all of the suggestions the AA community has provided.
Working on something-not-fish-related. Early stages of building something like this in my backyard:
bJOXeE3.png
OORRlTw.png

These are just examples. Will put my lawn furniture and fire pit under it and enjoy cold beverages.

Its a colorful fish killing tank! Nah, totally preventable. As a matter of fact, I just turned on the CO2 I adjusted it to 1.5 bps and then shut it off. I don't plan on doing anything else with the tank tank today besides feed the fish and replant some stray star repens stems (decided the extend the stars all the way across the tank).
Not thinking about restocking anything real soon. I want to make sure things are stable. Lots of options to work with and I appreciate all of the suggestions the AA community has provided.
Working on something-not-fish-related. Early stages of building something like this in my backyard:
bJOXeE3.png
OORRlTw.png

These are just examples. Will put my lawn furniture and fire pit under it and enjoy cold beverages.

Now that's a plan!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You doing concrete or paver work for a base or something pre-existing? I say build another structure & let's call it a greenhouse!

Nice!

Just be warned the brigattae are kinda hard to find. A lot of exporters send mixed bags to lfs/whoever here so you might not end up with them? For whatever reason mine are taking forever to color up so I still can't tell which ones I have :/

Msjinkzd does have them and she does seperate them out. I am probably going to order 3 or 4 from her to make sure I really do have some brigattae. If you do get a mix they still will school together :)

Back
Top Bottom