FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sup Fresh, turns out after cleaning the tubing on the canister which filters the 20L I placed the atomizer just outside the canister on the return & I'm now seeing alot better diffusion...when lights kick on the drop checker is almost lime green..pearling within minutes thereafter.

Huh? Good to know. Mine takes hours to change color but that could be due to the low bps I am using coupled with the diffusion method (Fluval diffuser below the output).
I was thinking of letting the strainer suck in the CO2 mist but I'm dealing with canister noise so no new variables for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Huh? Good to know. Mine takes hours to change color but that could be due to the low bps I am using coupled with the diffusion method (Fluval diffuser below the output).
I was thinking of letting the strainer suck in the CO2 mist but I'm dealing with canister noise so no new variables for now.

Co2 on an 1 1/2hr before lights kick on..

Glad you got the filter situation resolved! Whew! I can always ship you some foam back with thirty yards of tape on the box ;)

Glad you got the filter situation resolved! Whew! I can always ship you some foam back with thirty yards of tape on the box ;)

Are you talking about how much tape he uses on his packages? Dude. It's like a whole roll of tape.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Actually I started it. Post office got mad I brought stuff in a paint box so they had to tape over all the words. He retaped it and sent it back to me haha

Ha ha ya'll so funny!
I wish I could say that I'm completely happy with the Fluval but the humming from what I'm thinking is the impeller is still irking me. It's very quiet with the cabinet doors shut but the fact that it is making noise makes me think that something is not in perfect alignment or mechanically "off". I'm going to remove all of the media and run it empty and see if it still makes the same noise. I'll also check the impeller cap and impeller itself. But the LFS is only open for a little over an hour...the filter can wait!
I took the AC50s apart for a good soaking and cleaning. I'll prolly be parting with one of them (Stephanie).

What output are you running the co2 diffuser under?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Fluval diffuser (which BTW is still producing some fine bubbles) is near the bottom of the tank and the bubbles get caught up in the Fluval 206 output.

Eheim is king!

A little late for that. I have an RMA for the Fluval 206 and I can print up the label and ship this back to Petco. I *believe* but 100% sure that I will get the funds back into PayPal. If I return it to the store (again) I'll just get Petco credit. They don't carry Eheim canisters ? If they did I would swap this out locally.

Update on the Fluval 206: I opened the filter, removed the media, and ran it. It was a bit quieter. Slight hum but no sound like the impeller is contacting something. Added the media back in. Definitely noisier. I lubed the impeller contact points with a small amount of white petrolatum. Made no difference in the sound. Given this, I'm thinking that the media baskets are not as flush as the should be and they are pushing against the impeller cover resulting in noise. Could be the loose floss in the second basket or perhaps debris got stuck under the bottom basket. I will take a look at it again tomorrow. When I was running the leak test when I first got it, I had the media baskets in place but there were empty. It was pretty quiet during the test. Oh joy.

Any updates on the plants, Fresh?

Of course! Here are some updated pics. Plants are doing fine, BBA and GSA are at a minimum, trying to keep up with weekly WCs and daily ferts.
Left side:
zEhrB4U.png
Center:
UA0fa5T.png
Right side:
4jXT9Af.png
FTS:
1iLhfp1.png

I still have fish, they just like to hide when I'm around.

Last edited:
I'm going to bet that your problem is the co2. I have the same issue with my 306 and the fluval diffuser. Inline reactor should solve the problem.

Do you still have that root tab plunger thing?

I'm going to bet that your problem is the co2. I have the same issue with my 306 and the fluval diffuser. Inline reactor should solve the problem.

Do you still have that root tab plunger thing?

Are you saying that the CO2 bubbles are getting into the canister resulting in the audible impeller rattle/hum? The diffuser is off by 10:30 pm and 12 hours later the filter still sounds like it does. I can see the occasional trapped AIR as a problem but IMO the CO2 will be dissolved well before reaching the impeller. There is a lot of foam and floss that will trap the CO2.
The reactor is going to have to wait.
Yeah, I still have the pellet injector. I only use it about 3-4 times a year.

Are you saying that the CO2 bubbles are getting into the canister resulting in the audible impeller rattle/hum? The diffuser is off by 10:30 pm and 12 hours later the filter still sounds like it does. I can see the occasional trapped AIR as a problem but IMO the CO2 will be dissolved well before reaching the impeller. There is a lot of foam and floss that will trap the CO2.
The reactor is going to have to wait.
Yeah, I still have the pellet injector. I only use it about 3-4 times a year.

It would make sense if the co2 is becoming trapped and causing the impeller to make noise, mine sounds like it is running dry but it isn't if that makes any sense. To be trapped by the foam and floss wouldn't the co2 have to travel against gravity and with the water flow? The co2 may also find gaps to small for water to bypass the media and cause the noise.

I ask about the injector because using my hands to place the gel caps where they need to be may not be the easiest.

When I had the glass diffuser under my fx5's intake I could notice more noise. Like I said, mine turns itself off and expels extra air every 24 hours but up until it did that I would be able to tell it was louder than normal whether it be an hour after the co2 turned off or eight hours after the co2 turned off. As soon as you set up your inline reactor you'll be good. Have you tried unplugging your solenoid and starting your filter up fresh with no co2 being pumped in it to compare the sound? It'd at least help you narrow it down to it being caused by co2 or if it's just something with the filter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here's a thread on the pellet injector. Available from AquariumPlants.com, specs are included in case you want to DIY this.
Root Tablet Injector
The CO2 diffuser is not under the intake. It is on the opposite side of the tank. The amount of micro bubbles getting into it is minimal. I've ruled out air getting in through the hoses and gasket on the main body (tight fittings, no leaking when tilted). The quietest it ran last night was without the media baskets. And during setup it ran quieter with EMPTY media baskets.
So this morning I opened up the filter and re-seated the baskets.I also checked the impeller cover for indications of wear (none). Started it back up and now it's running pretty quiet. Probably the quietest it has since I've owned it. With the cabinet doors closed you really can't tell it's running. I hope my sound obsession is over.

Haha! Glad you figured it out.
Looking forward to the AC if you decide to part with it. My dirted tank is ready for a filter.
Yours looks fantastic as always!!

Of course! Here are some updated pics. Plants are doing fine, BBA and GSA are at a minimum, trying to keep up with weekly WCs and daily ferts.
Left side:
zEhrB4U.png
Center:
UA0fa5T.png
Right side:
4jXT9Af.png
FTS:
1iLhfp1.png

I still have fish, they just like to hide when I'm around.

Looking nice!

Back
Top Bottom