FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I have self control (I went on the nearly 900 day hiatus if you recall). There was not a lot in terms of nano fish available.
Was surrounded by impulsive folks with severe MTS. Some of the shrimp (Sakura) looked nice but the bidding drove up the prices tremendously.
Was a long day to say the least. But it was fun. I prefer the monthly mini-auctions. Less time, less cleanup, still some good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see much for nano fish here either. I'm thinking of bringing my boraras maculatus to the next auction. I like them but I'm not particularly attached. Having some sort of health issue with that tank though (they and the otos seem immune, pygmaeus and Habrosus and shrimp keep dying off little by little) so can't do anything at the moment besides medicate and observe.
Sorry getting off topic.
What do you have for fish now? I believe there were some embers? And a sparkling gourami at one point...sorry my brain is pudding right now.

I don't see much for nano fish here either. I'm thinking of bringing my boraras maculatus to the next auction. I like them but I'm not particularly attached. Having some sort of health issue with that tank though (they and the otos seem immune, pygmaeus and Habrosus and shrimp keep dying off little by little) so can't do anything at the moment besides medicate and observe.
Sorry getting off topic.
What do you have for fish now? I believe there were some embers? And a sparkling gourami at one point...sorry my brain is pudding right now.

Those Boraras maculatus are sharp looking. The closest they had to those at the auction were chili rasboras. 8 for $9 I think. I should have bid on them. I did bring home sparkling gouramis at one time (LFS person accidentally caught some while getting CPDs). I returned them the next day. They are not off the list for a future purchase.
Hope you figure out what the deal is with the ailing fish/shrimp. Perhaps check to see if there has been a change with water source/treatment center.
Here is an updated FTS of the tank. Big trim was one and a half weeks ago:
4jtZuk2.png
In order to reduce the plants' growth rate, I removed the the pair of 26w 6500k CFLs. Plants are still pearling and new growth is present on the cut stems.
Dropped in a few red root floaters to see how they will do. I should have a listing for them in the Classifed section. I also have some subwassertang but not sure how it will do in medium light with somewhat decent flow. Previous attempts resulted in hair algae taking over.
Fish are enjoying the FD bloodworms (thanks Fish Wrangler). Current inhabitants include:
2 Golden tetras
4 Ember tetras
8-10 CPDs
6 Otocinclus
3-4 Amano shrimp
MTS, Pond/Rams Horn snails

Last edited:
Wait, are you saying you're trying to get the plants to not grow as much? How can you have too many plants? :lol: I have more than I know what to do with and Mine don't even grow as fast as yours!

Wait, are you saying you're trying to get the plants to not grow as much? How can you have too many plants? :lol: I have more than I know what to do with and Mine don't even grow as fast as yours!

Absolutely. I equate the light level as a gas pedal of sorts. Not sure if it an accurate analogy. I believe I can have slower yet still healthy growth. The maintenance aspect (weekly/semi-weekly trimming) is a pain sometimes. If I don't trim, then shading affects the lower level plants in a negative way.

What exactly is the lighting set up on this tank Fresh?

Jesse

30" Finnex Planted+

Glad they like the worms!

Tank is looking very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I think the smaller fish did not know what to do with them at first. This was an old staple for the gold tetras. I've had them 8 years; I figure they were at least a year old when I purchased them.

Stars and Ar are looking fantastical! Overall great looking tank. Will be interesting to see how much growth or lack of without additional lighting. Will you still be running same amount of co2 and ferts?

Stars and Ar are looking fantastical! Overall great looking tank. Will be interesting to see how much growth or lack of without additional lighting. Will you still be running same amount of co2 and ferts?

Tbh, treating for BBA at the moment. I think when the plant growth went unchecked, things were out of balance for a few weeks.
Yep, CO2 and ferts will remain the same. I expect a slower growth rate at best.
Awaiting an order for a 12"x12" sheet of stainless steel mesh; should be here on Monday. I plan on cutting it into smaller sizes and tying the fissidens moss to it. These will be mounted vertically in the tank.

Where'd you get your mesh? How do you plan on tying the moss to the mesh? I've got some Phoenix moss which has done very well in my tank and I'd like to move it to another tank. Let me know!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Where'd you get your mesh? How do you plan on tying the moss to the mesh? I've got some Phoenix moss which has done very well in my tank and I'd like to move it to another tank. Let me know!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

eBay: Stainless Steel 304 Mesh #4 .047Wire Cloth Screen 12"x12"
It should arrive tomorrow or the next day. I will review it (ease of bending, cutting, integrity of mesh at cut ends, etc).

The SS mesh arrived today. Did not get a chance to open it yet. Insanely busy day. Feeding the fish at 11:30 pm busy.
A few pogo stellatus octopus stems have reached the surface and need a trim. The staur repens and AR mini also need a trimming as well.
Auction profits came in $$$. Even after the club takes its cut, it was still a decent amount.

I hate busy days! Already today feels like that. Lol

Can't wait to see the fissidens mesh wall.

This tank is timeless! Feels like an old friend if that makes sense. AR looks great! He'd be proud:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hate busy days! Already today feels like that. Lol

Can't wait to see the fissidens mesh wall.

Day is not getting better. Went to sleep at 1am, alarm set at 5:30am (par for me) and get a text at 3am: "Please join the call already in progress about system X being slow...". Ugh. 1.5 hrs later get back to bed. Back at work now but taking a break for AA and my Imgur fix.

This tank is timeless! Feels like an old friend if that makes sense. AR looks great! He'd be proud:)

Thanks for remembering. I've chucked plants before but this one I'm holding onto like an Olympic torch in a hurricane. Weird, huh?
Sprigs of the octopus? You gotta try it!

I'll give it a try sure! Thanks. Pm sent

Back
Top Bottom