FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add more Phosphate. I have noticed it really helps in my tank. I add ...a lot...seen a big reduction in GSA on the plants..still get a small amount on the glass. But not like it was..

Somewhere in my thread is a pic of what 10 ppm phosphate looks like (the test tube, that is). I believe I was triple dosing macros that had extra phosphate in it. That was a while back and was a response to GSA.
The glut spot treating is turning the hair algae on the DW into white threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Somewhere in my thread is a pic of what 10 ppm phosphate looks like (the test tube, that is). I believe I was triple dosing macros that had extra phosphate in it. That was a while back and was a response to GSA.
The glut spot treating is turning the hair algae on the DW into white threads.

Whoa..are you still adding that much phosphate? Did you notice any Ill effect?

Nah, I cut it back a while ago. Trying to keep the target at 5 ppm (although the difference between 5 and 10 is minimal on the color chart IMO). I think when the phosphate and nitrate were high the Downoi started melting.
Just looked over the tank today and here are a few highlights:
The star repens are growing well and the hair algae I could not remove appears to be going away (strands are thinner and less frequent). Lots of new growth...perhaps I will be able to harvest and ship some out this month!
s7SUQVF.png

The Blyxa is about 90% new growth. The old growth was tattered and covered in hair algae was so I removed the old leaves. All of the new growth has a marbled or tiger striped pattern of crimson. Does not show up well in the pic; more like striations
EltIdbm.png

Pogo is one of the better growers in this tank despite the difficulty I had with it at the beginning. I need remove some to make room for more red plants arriving next week.
L7JQ4ST.png

Ammania bonsai is a little trooper and a background plant in my case. Tips are yellowish-pinkish.
vYxBoCS.png

Downoi has some hair algae but it is slow and steady with a few runners.
Y78KxiA.png

The few water lettuce plants I left have quadrupled in numbers. The shade they are providing might actually be a good thing.
I ended up propping the diffuser under the flow of one of the filters and perhaps that and the increased bps is yellow green from both DCs at the other end of the tank. That should hold me over until I get the canister/reactor up and going. Which may be a while.

I traded in two full sandwich bags of water lettuce at the LFS and got a 20% discount coupon for livestock purchases. I left maybe 3-4 plants in the tank "just in case".
Well, a few weeks have passed and I can see why this plant is illegal to possess in certain states. It provides some shade to the plants below which is probably a good thing (algae wise). But it is very prolific.
B2dmRoo.png
Time to get another coupon.

In a high light tank with co2.. forget about it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got some new plants from Brookster. Arrived a day early and in good shape. Here's a trio of Erio
90oqfMv.png
and a trio of Ludwigia red hidden behind the pogo
RlQwiAY.png
Had to move things around and it got messy. Took pics before the water cleared up. Instead of throwing out the algae magnet that is Rotala wallichii, I trimmed and replanted the growing tips. It's getting a second chance. Not having the pogo directly behind the star repens is giving my OCD a break! Plus, was able to do an alternating green-red pattern along the back. Despite the murkiness, plants are still pearling an hour after the CO2 stopped. Have not seen this much of the back wall in a while. Plants are still tattered a bit but things should look much better in a week.
FTS
srXmXTa.png

I really wanted to add some Wallichi in my setup but after you and brookster have said its an algae magnet I might go with something else. And the Ludwiga Red is a really nice plant you will like it!

Hey Fresh,how many planted+ are you running over your 20L?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

I really wanted to add some Wallichi in my setup but after you and brookster have said its an algae magnet I might go with something else. And the Ludwiga Red is a really nice plant you will like it!

I think the problem is with old growth is susceptible to algae. And the old growth may have been subjected to fluctuating CO2 levels and shading from being planted so closely together.
Giving it another shot with proper spacing and increased CO2. Hopefully I can get to Sk3lly level with this plant. If this works then I will send out samples.
From the images I've seen on Google, the Ludwigia red looks striking. Right now the space around it is tight but that is because I am holding some pogo for a few pending orders. I want it to contrast the pogo.
I really need to clean the back wall. Filthy. Can't use a magnet scrubber because of the ghetto trash bag background. I do have a scrubber pad on a stock I could use.
Star repens is due for thinning.

Hey Fresh,how many planted+ are you running over your 20L?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

One planted+ and one FugeRay. I'm thinking I could pull this off with only the planted+. But when both fixtures are on, the pearling is like a 7 UP commercial.

Time to change the CO2 tank. Noticed bubbles were very fine tonight and the total pressure gauge is at zero. Last time this happened I vented the tank and it took over 10 minutes to empty. 24 oz tank lasted a little over 4.5 months. Will be fighting the shoppers getting this filled tomorrow.
Here is a pic of the Ludwigia red in the back of the tank. Looking forward to this plant taking off.
f4H5wGD.png
Note the blue blue drop checker.

Time to change the CO2 tank. Noticed bubbles were very fine tonight and the total pressure gauge is at zero. Last time this happened I vented the tank and it took over 10 minutes to empty. 24 oz tank lasted a little over 4.5 months. Will be fighting the shoppers getting this filled tomorrow.
Here is a pic of the Ludwigia red in the back of the tank. Looking forward to this plant taking off.
f4H5wGD.png
Note the blue blue drop checker.

Should be more like note the two fish lol. Do your fish seem to hide more and "hate" you for a couple days after you have to put ur arm in the water for a while?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of the tetras hangs out in the corner and another does this "dance" in front of it. They've bred before but that was about 3 years ago and I think they are past their prime (I got them in 2007).
Not sure if they hate me. I'm in the tank at least once every other week trimming plants. Yesterday I uprooted most of the plants in the back row and the water had the visibility of chocolate milk. Took a few hours to clear.

I think it might just be that they have to get used to my hand/arm in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Replaced the CO2 tank. Readjusted the bps to 3.3. It was higher before swapping out the tank but I'd rather start out slowly since I am heading out to a Christmas party for a few hours. DCs are deep blue at the moment and there is no pearling going on (yet).

Do you have a solenoid on your regulator or do you run it all the time?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a solenoid on your regulator or do you run it all the time?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool touch solenoid (AquaTek Premium). Comes on about 1.5 hours before lights on and 1.5 hours before lights off.
So I come back from this party and literally run up the stairs to check on the tank. Bps is still (ballpark) where I left it and the the DC is still blue with a halo of lime green at the top. Good, I suppose. I check the timer for the solenoid to make sure it is on auto and not manual.
Plants are pearling; not like club soda but bubbling a little.

Back
Top Bottom