FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I removed a rather large piece of moss covered DW today...
Before:
eKdTVkH.jpg

After:
Mt43U0y.jpg

DW before trimming moss:
xjYOj2w.jpg

DW after trimming moss:
PyKp1T8.jpg

After trimming and replanting Bacopa carolinia stems:
uX6VHsx.jpg

Going to bring the DW to the LFS and see what I can get for it. Perhaps some smaller pieces of Malaysian DW, shrimp, or supplies.

Saved the moss (flame and some other kind) and they are sitting in a jar next to a window.

Fish have probably 50% more swimming area. Left some open space for a small piece of DW and for replanting the stems.

I might move the taller dwarf sag back a bit. I have two types of dwarf sag:
One stays low (1-2") and the other 4-5" or more. I like the lower one; it forms a crude carpet. The other can pass as a twin for the broadleaf chain sword in another part of the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moss can take over! I just did that with the Fissidens Fontanus moss in my tank. It's amazing how much more room and light gets in that area now!

Moss can take over! I just did that with the Fissidens Fontanus moss in my tank. It's amazing how much more room and light gets in that area now!

Yes it can! The growth is subtle but before you know it, poof! I put a piece of DW in the open area; I might leave it "naked" for a while. not sure if i want to put a vertical or horizontal growing moss on it.
There is so much light available to the plants now. I added DIY CO2 two weeks ago and there was some pearling going on. Only used to see it briefly after WCs. Now I see an increase in pearling. I guess with the light-fert-CO2 balance, the CO2 was a little lacking (I do use Excel daily). Hopefully this will help with the hair/string algae I have been seeing. Not the very straight strand type, but more of a curly type. I have pulled most of it out of the Bacopa.

Another FTS after moving some dwarf sag away from the front:
M3MAIxc.jpg

Enjoying the pearling. Just did a PWC after moving the plants (it kicked up quite a bit of debris).
My other HOB stopped working yesterday (it was the off brand model that came with a Petco 6.6 gallon tank). I was bubbling CO2 into it. I am now bubbling it to the existing AC50 HOB. Not sure if I will replace the second HOB; removing the oversized DW has not only opened up the tank, water circulation appears to have improved as well.

Your tank is just epic!!

Thanks Dino! I know it lacks the reds often seen in decently lighted tanks but I will settle for thriving at this point. I tried a variety of plants; some lived, some did not; some were too large, etc. Sitting here watching the pearling until the photo period ends (any minute now)

I want to collect all of the pics of this tank the last year and line them up chronologically...talk about changes.

It has only been a week or so since I removed the DW and moved a few things around. Here is a shot of a one week difference:
Yg8wqYm.jpg

The Bacopa will need trimming again soon. The dwarf sag is sending out more runners. I believe the difference in growth has been the addition of DIY CO2. All of the plants are pearling now, not just after water changes.

I just got back from vacation. Here is a before and after shot (6/28 - 7/6):
IHrf2wT.jpg

The Bacopa reached the surface and curled along the top. Water lettuce roots nearly reach the substrate. Both dwarf sag groups got thicker with several new runners. Lots of MTS and FW limpets.
I know it was only 8 days but when you don't see it everyday you really notice the changes.

Trimmed the Bacopa and now I have ~40 stems sitting in a tray of water (for now). I will replant some of them in this tank. There is room for several stems in the shrimp tank although the lighting is less intense in there. The rest may go out in my small garden water feature (pond is not an appropriate term for it).
z1prBj4.jpg
Here is the tank after the trimming: http://i.imgur.com/zfvS8zj.jpg

Bought a new stand today, put it together and moved the tank to the other side of the room. Petco had a sale; $109 reduced to $52. Drilled a hole in the back panel for electrical cords and CO2 tubing. Transfer went smoothly.
AdENiW2.jpg

FP0A28h.jpg

Just an update: Before and After pics for DIY CO2 over a 6 week period. I add Excel daily but the addition of CO2 gas has made a notable difference.
zwMmzgC.jpg

The plant growing in front of the DW sent several leaves across the surface so I cleared some space and moved it to the back. I can see the DW again! Now there is more room for the dwarf sag to spread. There are 4 dwarf sag runners heading toward the back of the tank so I use plant weights to "steer" the runners in a more favorable direction.
TlSJUbI.jpg

Looking good... you're plants certainly look happy! Especially adding in some co2 w/ excel! Are you using a FugeRay or Ray 2?

Looking good... you're plants certainly look happy! Especially adding in some co2 w/ excel! Are you using a FugeRay or Ray 2?

Thanks! It's a FugeRay. Can't really see it from the pic because there is a (Old Scales had a name for it...from where I got the idea for it) "something" sitting on the top of the tank. I went to the craft store and picked up a sheet of black heavyweight poster board. Cut it in half and used it as a background for my 20g long shrimp tank. Was going to use the other half for this tank but decided to cut it long wise and rest it on the top at an angle. It blocks the light deflection. It is also painted silver on the underside to help reflect light back to the tank. The light deflection is caused by the glass tops I am using. Originally went topless but did not like the evaporation rate. Had a glass top that had a broken rubber hinge. Removed the hinge and now just place the glass panes on the top to cut down on evaporation.

I just remembered, OS called them light baffles.

It's crazy how much moss can grow. I just recently pulled a fist sized mound of it out of my 55 and ended up throwing it into one of my shrimp breeder tanks. They didn't seem to complain about that at all :)

It's crazy how much moss can grow. I just recently pulled a fist sized mound of it out of my 55 and ended up throwing it into one of my shrimp breeder tanks. They didn't seem to complain about that at all :)

I had a large piece of DW with Flame moss and another type of moss. Looked fine early on but looked unkept after a while. Was not feasible to remove (for trimming) so I had to trim in-tank and attempt to siphon out all of the stragglers. What a mess. Plus it was a magnet for string/hair algae. DW gone, moss gone (same as you, moss went into the shrimp tank).

Back
Top Bottom