Frogbit help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently got some frogbit from crittercaller (it was very nice of them to send me some) and I got it, but the plants seem to be in a tough position. Here's what I got:

View attachment 94757

View attachment 94758

View attachment 94759

View attachment 94760

Any ideas on how to help these guys grow? The "heads" are rootless and the roots are headless. Some of the roots all combine into a "bulb/head" and some are more floaty. I have liquid fertilizer which doubles as a dechlorinator, and I haven't added any to the cup, but the tank was treated with it during my last PWC. Gould I add a little extra to the cup?

I had the same problem when I got my duckweed and dwarf water lettuce. I put it all in a breeder trap for a little bit and it perked back up. I think just the heat and rough handling from shipping separated the heads from the roots, but they come back in quickly. I would put them in something with at least some water flow, or change the water in the cup really often. The liquid ferts probably won't hurt anything.

It in the breeder now with some guppy fry and anacharis, there were only two heads that seem together, and I'm hoping that they grow back! I added some extra fertilizer as well :) I'll keep you guys updated on any changes with the plants

Hopefully it perks back up for you :) Mine took a couple of days, but it multiplies like crazy now.

I hope it perks up too, I have 2 heads that seem to be recuperating ^^

I hope it perks up too, I have 2 heads that seem to be recuperating, which is pretty great! :)

There isn't much improvement, and I haven't seen any growth of roots :(

The heads are still alive and green, there are only two, but I haven't seen any growth of roots :/

If your filter bashes them around too much that can make them unhappy also. I let my stem plants reach the surface and it gives my Frogbit a place to keep out of the current.

Coursair said:
If your filter bashes them around too much that can make them unhappy also. I let my stem plants reach the surface and it gives my Frogbit a place to keep out of the current.

I have them in a breeder box, so there's no current to speak of where they're located

PLEASE take some of mine!! Oh my gosh I have to throw it away atleast once a week! UGH!!

brunettebaby4571 said:
PLEASE take some of mine!! Oh my gosh I have to throw it away atleast once a week! UGH!!

I'll take some of yours, sure! ^^

I will look into shipping. I know nothing about how much it is to ship or anything but I hate just throwing so much away every week!!

brunettebaby4571 said:
I will look into shipping. I know nothing about how much it is to ship or anything but I hate just throwing so much away every week!!

Okay, so two things real quick, overnight shipping is a must, and more plants would definitely be better because some will die. If you have fertilizers (liquid would be best) they should help them.

When I say would be best, I'm not requiring it of you, just saying that it'd definitely help.

Are you disposing of your plants correctly? Frogbit is on many state lists of plants that are harmful to the environment, and are usually said to be best thrown away in a compost, or some other valid form. Just putting the plants in the garbage could not only let that plant into the wild, but also spread diseases and toxins, which the plant might get on the way, or from in your fish tank (getting new fish can cause it and your tank could have a fungus or disease in the early stages which show no visible signs yet)

I'm not saying your tank is diseased, or that you're a bad fish keeper, I'm just making sure you know! You can get fined if you don't properly dispose of unwanted plants, and I don't want you to get fined, or cause the environment trouble. I didn't know about it until I researched frogbit, which is commonly disposed of, and fines can cost anywhere from 25-a couple thousand dollars.

Overnight Shipping is not needed in most cases. Just use an appropriate box ( I plan to use Flat Rate boxes ) or padded envelope.

I've had plants mailed in a regular envelope with a baggie and a damp paper towel. Still lived.

BUT responsible Plant disposal and keeping is Super Important !! Esp for such invasive species.
Good point Alia.

I got 10 piece of frogbit when I first got it in an envelope and it was just fine and like I said I now throw it away VERY often. I also am very aware about disposing it (I read all about it with duckweed when I got some) so it either gets thrown in with my goldfish (where it ultimately dies lol) or it gets thrown in a garbage can to dry out before going into the final trash :) But I appreciate the concern. I try to read up as much about anything and everything that goes in (or out) of my tank. You can never learn too much!!

brunettebaby4571 said:
I got 10 piece of frogbit when I first got it in an envelope and it was just fine and like I said I now throw it away VERY often. I also am very aware about disposing it (I read all about it with duckweed when I got some) so it either gets thrown in with my goldfish (where it ultimately dies lol) or it gets thrown in a garbage can to dry out before going into the final trash :) But I appreciate the concern. I try to read up as much about anything and everything that goes in (or out) of my tank. You can never learn too much!!

So I guess there's been more luck with others. The frogbit I got had a hole for each plant in some styrofoam and then they were all placed Ina circular plastic thing with water, with a layer of tissue/paper towel on top before the lid was put on. That plastic thing was further placed in a box with shredded papers and newspaper. The plants would've made it, if it hadn't been for the fact that the mailman did not care about that box, it was very dented and looked like it had been dropped many times, so only two out of seven made it, but they died because the roots were torn off (even though I had them in a breeder box with extra added fertilizer)

I'm hoping that this time, if it's possible, that less solid objects be used in the shipping, like the plastic Baggie in the envelope (smart idea!) with the paper towel with water. I've grown seeds that way, into small plants, but I'm not so sure if adult plants would work? I do know that if you put too much water in the seeds will rot, and grow mold, but since we're talking about aquatic plants, I have no idea if you should put in alot or a little water.

I am very happy that you'd like to send me some frogbit by the way :)

Yeah the way that I got it it was wrapped in wet newspaper I believe in a bag inside an envelope and it did great! But send me a message (I still have no idea how to send messages) and we will figure out all the details I just hate throwing it away so giving it to someone would make me feel way better!

Alrighty I'll send you a message! I do this through an app on my phone, and the messages button is on the bottom menu. About how many plants do you throw away and how often? Just curious on an amount and the such :)

Back
Top Bottom