FW Planted Aquarium - Beginner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All.

I was viewing a lot of threads in the showoff forum and the planted tanks look just amazing! I wanted to do one as well.

The problem is, I'm a complete beginner and have no idea where to start. I currently have a 30 Gallon tank. No lid, lights, heater, filter, etc.

SO, the big question is ... what do I do? Are there any guides that you recommend to read? How to set it up, etc? Perhaps I could just run a tank like my 5 gallon with the filter, heater, substrate and add plants to that? Although in the bigger tank. I don't know much about CO2 and I see a lot of what looks to be CO2 pumps around peoples tanks who have planted. Do I really need this?

Also do you have any tips? I don't really want it to be a high maintence project in the long run, I'm sure its not too bad.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing.

Last edited:
If you check out the articles section of this site you'll find several articles on planted aquariums. These will definately be a good place to start.

You can definately do a planted aquarium without CO2, you'll just need to run it with less light which will limit your plant choices some. CO2 really isn't as bad as it sounds and I do encourage you to consider it. Even on lower light aquariums it's very beneficial.

My best advice is to do lost of reading and figure out what type of aquarium you want. This could be the maintenance level, a specific look, or certain plants, etc. Once you know what you want, come back and let us know and we can help you figure out how to achieve what you want. There are lots of "right" ways to do a planted aquarium, so it's a matter of finding the way that will work best for you.

Great Article you wrote! I'll have to take a look around for supplies then. Thanks.

I was thinking of a low maintence level (low light) since I'm a beginner, so no CO2 injections or anything as of now. I also wanted short grassy plants mainly and I think sand looks great. I actually decided that I might just do this in another 5 gallon tank until I get the hang of things.

*EDIT: In your 2.5 gallon tank the "grassy" plants you have in there look very nice!

Last edited:
Pool filter sand would be a great inexpensive option if you can find it in a color you like in your area. You may find that it's difficult to grow the grassy plants like hairgrass with a lower light aquarium. It's worth a try, but be prepared to shift your plant options if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom