GBR + EI = Bad Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prinzlerr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

long time lurker here, who has used this site for countless hours of research.

Anyways, on to the situation at hand. I've recently decided to upgrade my 46 bowfront to a high tech planted setup in hopes of having a tank to brag about. This included purchasing an MA957 regulator for CO2 (I've read the reviews, decided to chance it), a Fluval 305 for better filtration (plus I needed it to feel good about keeping GBRs), and in the near future purchasing an order of dry ferts. The regulator just came in today. I've long felt that EI dosing was the best way to go, as it seems to be the most popular, with many beautiful tanks using this strategy. However, the 50% weekly water change is something of a concern for me, as the tank houses two pairs of GBR. These guys were drip acclimated over the course of 3 hours, and have been doing splendidly in the time I've had them. However, I am aware of their sensitivity issues, and am currently wondering whether the weekly 50% WC will be too much of a strain on these awesome guys.

Any feedback/alternatives are greatly welcomed. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on PPS pro dosing, as I have just recently discovered it.

Extra tank info: 2x96w PC (6700k and 10000k, currently only running the 10k as I somehow blew the 6700k, but will be using the 6700k as the primary light, with the 10k timed for a noon-simulation burst), Fluorite/Eco-Complete Substrate Mix.

I know very little about EI and Pps but as far as your question about the water changes, I have had a pair of gbr for nearly 8 months or so and I do 60-70% water changes once a week without any issues so I think you'll be alright

I run a few high tech tanks, past and present. I really didn't want to do 50% weekly PWC's and for that very reason I've been using PPS-Pro. I have had no real problems with it other than a little GSA due to how lean PO4 is. I basically increased the PO4 a bit in the recipe and I haven't had too much of an issue with GSA.

There's a few more AA planted tank folks here who are more systematic and meticulous in their PPS-Pro strategy that can do a better job than me in helping you fine tune your dosing regimen. I basically dose it default with a slight modification... I'm more on the pragmatic side but it has still worked out to the point I haven't ditched it for EI.

How are those PC bulbs working out? Is there a reflector? Any idea what PAR you're getting? I ran PC lighting once and it got pricey to replace bulbs. Not to mention the noisy fan to keep them cool. Switched to LED and never looked back. Ever consider switching to LED? Even T5HO for that matter?

Edit:

BTW, I've kept several GBR's in numerous tanks with CO2 and PPS-Pro. I believe the reduced ferts and reduced PWC requirements help in reducing stress.

Last edited:
I know very little about EI and Pps but as far as your question about the water changes, I have had a pair of gbr for nearly 8 months or so and I do 60-70% water changes once a week without any issues so I think you'll be alright

Good to know, and thanks for the quick response. Do you do the water changes slowly to aid with the re-acclimation? I normally just pour the entire 5 gallon bucket in and immediately refill it. I do take a bit of precaution in matching the faucet temperature as closely as I can to the tank temperature, though.

I have had the same trio of GBR's (1M & 2F) for about 7 months now. They have spawned about 6 times and are staying colored up and healthy. Your most important factors are temperature, Ph, dKH, and keeping NO3 below 15ppm. I dose this tank with Glut and PPS-Pro dry ferts daily and the Rams do fine. Rams seem to be more sensitive to big swings in NO3 levels, IMHO. If you let the NO3 get to 25-30-40ppm then do a WC to drop it to 10 or less all of a sudden, it seems to REALLY stress them. Keep your NO3 levels between 5 lowest & 20 highest and they will do best. Mine look and spawn best at a temp of 82F also. Hope this helps, OS.

I run a few high tech tanks, past and present. I really didn't want to do 50% weekly PWC's and for that very reason I've been using PPS-Pro. I have had no real problems with it other than a little GSA due to how lean PO4 is. I basically increased the PO4 a bit in the recipe and I haven't had too much of an issue with GSA.

There's a few more AA planted tank folks here who are more systematic and meticulous in their PPS-Pro strategy that can do a better job than me in helping you fine tune your dosing regimen. I basically dose it default with a slight modification... I'm more on the pragmatic side but it has still worked out to the point I haven't ditched it for EI.

How are those PC bulbs working out? Is there a reflector? Any idea what PAR you're getting? I ran PC lighting once and it got pricey to replace bulbs. Not to mention the noisy fan to keep them cool. Switched to LED and never looked back. Ever consider switching to LED? Even T5HO for that matter?

Edit:

BTW, I've kept several GBR's in numerous tanks with CO2 and PPS-Pro. I believe the reduced ferts and reduced PWC requirements help in reducing stress.

Cool, I'm definitely going to do some more research on the PPS regimen before I decide on which route to take. 50% water changes, even on a 46, aren't too enticing when I don't have a python and have to run back and forth from the living room to the bathtub, lol.

The PC lighting isn't bad, as I got a good deal on the fixture. It's the Coralife 2x96 fixture, and it has metal reflectors. I have no access to a PAR meter, unfortunately.The bulbs are pricey, but I did find some Odyssea replacements on eBay for $20 a piece, or $50 for 4. I've heard mixed reviews about Odyssea, though, and am going to do some research on those before I buy. The fan noise is pretty insignificant to my ears on the unit; it's basically a slight humming. I've got LEDs on my 20L reef setup, as well as the stock evolve4 light on my betta tank(if that even counts), and I do prefer them. I'm going to run the system for a while as is (current lighting, CO2, and the addition of dry ferts) to see if I like the growth/coloration, and decide whether to upgrade to LED from there. T5HO is something I've never really looked into, and with the influx of LED systems on the market (i.e: constantly dropping prices), I honestly doubt I will.

I have had the same trio of GBR's (1M & 2F) for about 7 months now. They have spawned about 6 times and are staying colored up and healthy. Your most important factors are temperature, Ph, dKH, and keeping NO3 below 15ppm. I dose this tank with Glut and PPS-Pro dry ferts daily and the Rams do fine. Rams seem to be more sensitive to big swings in NO3 levels, IMHO. If you let the NO3 get to 25-30-40ppm then do a WC to drop it to 10 or less all of a sudden, it seems to REALLY stress them. Keep your NO3 levels between 5 lowest & 20 highest and they will do best. Mine look and spawn best at a temp of 82F also. Hope this helps, OS.

I'm running the temp at 80, currently, but that's just because I keep forgetting to up the dial, lol. They've been colorful and active, with only a slight bit of territorial bickering (I've got 2M/2F, and they seem to have already paired off...I probably would have done 1M/2F if I had done a bit more research). I'm guessing that even this will subside when I get some good plant growth that limits visibility lines, but as I stated, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue even now. I'll definitely keep an eye on my nitrates, then, and if for some reason I see an upswing, I'll do a gradual water change to try and prevent a downspike.

When you can, get a Python. I did the buckets for 50+ years and just couldn't believe how much easier the Python made my WC's. The old saying, " A chore done easy is a chore done often".
Best money me and my fish ever spent, OS.

When you can, get a Python. I did the buckets for 50+ years and just couldn't believe how much easier the Python made my WC's. The old saying, " A chore done easy is a chore done often".
Best money me and my fish ever spent, OS.

I'll keep an eye out for them. An LFS owner back home absolutely swore by them, but I never got around to purchasing one. There's a couple of good, local forums for NC, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one on their classifieds.

Yeah I have the cheaper aqueon version. Works well after I ditched the cheap plastic faucet adapter for a metal one at home depot.

Or to save money just get the drain and fill piece that attaches to the sink and get a garden hose for like 10 bucks and you can use that for water changes

Back
Top Bottom