General plant Q's and observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
First thanks to all whom have helped me with my struggle with learning ferts in the discus tank. Second is an observation/comment. Warnings should come with giant vals and hygro plants! They grow like crazy!! I take of 12" of val every 2 weeks of the tops of the plant. The hygro is also unbelievable in it's reproduction.

Now onto the Q. I am looking for an easy low light ground cover plant. One that doesn't get massively out of hand quickly but will cover the bottom of the tank. Perhaps something that looks like grass? It is for my 55 gal tank. I've had 2 spawns of the geophagus and no matter how hard I try to provide places for them to hide the fry get eaten. I figure a grassy or low lying plant my help them. Open to suggestions. TIA

I planted some hygro lengthwise once and it grew nicely as a ground cover. This was in my 55 gal with 1.7 wpg. It looks nice and my little ADF loved to hide in there.

I'd look the clovers (marsilea sp.), while not exactly grass like they would provide a nice slow growing ground cover that would work in lower lighting.

I have to agree with Purrbox. Clover is an excellent ground cover that will do well in lower light. Not really grass like but very pretty. I've put samples in 4 of my tanks, doing well in all of them. My ten gallon is completely covered, front to back. The ten gallon has 65 watts cf over it, high light. I've also got it growing in a 20 gallon with one 14 wt t-5 bulb. Grows just as well as the high light ten, only slower. If you want to try it out, give me a couple more weeks and I'll send you a pile of it :)

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I love that about this place. I can just ask away and get honest opinions. Love it love it. I will try the clover and the dwarf sag suggestions. You all have turned me into a plant monster! My 75 gal is probably now considered heavily planted. There isn't much space left to plant in the sand, and thanks to Glen & Bill the 55 is well on it's way.

Narrow leaf chain sword
Echinodorus tenellus

I have it in my 75G, and does great. Even under all the cover and under the driftwood. It's even growing into the caves. It grows quite fast in higher light, but under lower lighting, it grows fairly slow, and doesn't get real tall like it does in higher light.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=108

I might even be able to spare a couple pounds of it if you want, lol.

Back
Top Bottom