general question outta curiousity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Stinkpots

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have some driftwood and some anachris. i have heard of moss growing on driftwood without adding it to the tank is that possible? i have a life glo (k 6700 and 130 lux)< i have no idea what theat means? what are some good plants for this. i have guppies and bamboo shrimp in this 20 gallon what could i put in here i like the moss but i cant find any petstore with it and id like to get something to help my fry i have a bunch of anachris but its only been in there for a couple weeks and i just got this light. a week ago but im seeing green roots and lots of sprouts :) (y)

How many watts is your light?

6700K is a good color temp for plants, so you have the right bulb... but the color temp is only part of the equation. Once we know the wattage, we can suggest some more plants that might do well in your setup.

Moss isn't just going to start growing, you have to add it to the tank. It is easy to grow on driftwood -- you just have to tie it with some fishing line or thread to keep it in place until it starts to grow on the wood. If you want to get some java moss, I am sure if you post in the classifieds section of the forum for "wanted to buy - Java Moss" someone will ship you some for just the cost of shipping. It is very common... almost everyone has it in their tanks, and it grows wonderfully, so people are constantly trimming it and just tossing the extra trimmings. If I had any in my tank, I would gladly send you some... I am sure someone will come through.

Java moss and anacharis grow nicely in low-light tanks. Fort summed it all up nicely. 6700K is the color temperature. Higher numbers are more blue. Lux is a unit of light output. Light output is difficult apply to aquariums for several reasons. To keep it simple, we usually just worry about wattage and bulb type.

Back
Top Bottom