Getting back into the hobby, taking on planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I'm getting back in the hobby from being out if it for over 3 years. I am looking to turn my 46 bow front into a nice planted tank. So I have a couple of questions, but I'm going to try and keep the planted ones in the thread here. So here it goes.

My previous tank had pool filter sand. That stuff was the bomb! It cleaned up nicely, snails and corys loved it, but from what I've been researching....it doesn't make good substrate for plants? I had Amazon swords, Java ferns, crypts, and some other low light plants growing in my old aquarium just fine in it. So I'm wondering if I were to start a medium/high tech planted aquarium, is PFS still an option? What is my best options for substrate that is going to benefit my plants? I also am not looking to spend $100 on dirt...so I'm trying to start off this as a medium tech tank and progress from there.

As far as lighting goes I'm sitting at about 2 wpg, however I can increase that quite a bit as I have room to slide another set of lights onto the top of my hood.

Co2 is something I want to get into. I've seen what it can do to plants. I want to be able to accelerate my plants with it. So what is the best option for me to go do co2. There is everything from yeast and sugar to something professional. I've seen a good one from a you tuber with the Citric acid as the reactor. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Alright moving on, plants. Currently I'm planning on Amazon swords, Java ferns, and jungle Val. However, being that I have never done a medium tech tank. I don't know the options for plants. I really want some kind of carpet, it looks lovely and I have the light for it. If not, I can expand the light easily. Im legitimately saying no to getting corys because I really want to be able to have some kind of plant carpet in my tank however, I don't know which is the best not only to work with my substrate but also with my tank, lighting, co2, etc.

A few smaller questions I have. Has anyone done anything with electrolyze water treatment or whatever it's called...if someone needs me to elaborate let me know.

And lastly. Dosing. Which products do I use and what has worked for you?

Thanks!

Tank is currently day 5 in cycling and I'm getting excited!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey everyone. I'm getting back in the hobby from being out if it for over 3 years. I am looking to turn my 46 bow front into a nice planted tank. So I have a couple of questions, but I'm going to try and keep the planted ones in the thread here. So here it goes.

My previous tank had pool filter sand. That stuff was the bomb! It cleaned up nicely, snails and corys loved it, but from what I've been researching....it doesn't make good substrate for plants? I had Amazon swords, Java ferns, crypts, and some other low light plants growing in my old aquarium just fine in it. So I'm wondering if I were to start a medium/high tech planted aquarium, is PFS still an option? What is my best options for substrate that is going to benefit my plants? I also am not looking to spend $100 on dirt...so I'm trying to start off this as a medium tech tank and progress from there.

As far as lighting goes I'm sitting at about 2 wpg, however I can increase that quite a bit as I have room to slide another set of lights onto the top of my hood.

Co2 is something I want to get into. I've seen what it can do to plants. I want to be able to accelerate my plants with it. So what is the best option for me to go do co2. There is everything from yeast and sugar to something professional. I've seen a good one from a you tuber with the Citric acid as the reactor. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Alright moving on, plants. Currently I'm planning on Amazon swords, Java ferns, and jungle Val. However, being that I have never done a medium tech tank. I don't know the options for plants. I really want some kind of carpet, it looks lovely and I have the light for it. If not, I can expand the light easily. Im legitimately saying no to getting corys because I really want to be able to have some kind of plant carpet in my tank however, I don't know which is the best not only to work with my substrate but also with my tank, lighting, co2, etc.

A few smaller questions I have. Has anyone done anything with electrolyze water treatment or whatever it's called...if someone needs me to elaborate let me know.

And lastly. Dosing. Which products do I use and what has worked for you?

Thanks!

Tank is currently day 5 in cycling and I'm getting excited!

Hi,

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467094317.045232.jpg

This is a my tank in a neglected phase. I've just trimmed so looks a bit different now.

So you have high light. This means that in conjunction with good, stable levels of carbon addition and good fert dosing schedule you should not be limited to what plant you can have.

For substrate I use dirt but the methods to get a good dirt substrate going are not as simple as adding sand or flourite or Eco complete and I cannot really comment on any of those substrates since I have never used them.

I just pulled this ludwigia stem from my dirt substrate using co2 and EI dosing.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467094561.184923.jpg

So for co2 I would say go straight to co2 bottle with regulator and a solenoid to allow timing of co2. In my opinion DIY should be skipped because after some time most people inevitably just upgrade anyway. I haven't used DIY so again I can't comment.

There are a few dosing methods but this is the one I use. And this will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should try listening to as many SapeFu pod casts as possible. If you truly want to learn these guys will really help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sand can work in planted tanks. I have Sand in 2 of my tanks. I add DIY Root Caps to my substrate. I do add liquid Ferts. I'm using Thrive all in one by Nilocg Aquatics. I don't have CO2 yet. I am adding a Carbon source ( Excel) but not on a good schedule.

This is my 55g
74e8abf37d37a32bce30a529c74f2fee.jpg
a8891dc47ee3a8914ae315b91246e181.jpg
4e835ecfbb8cf34b929ba4ddf921c29b.jpg
819fcfe5c77dd988b9249fe7b7f804fb.jpg

My L aromatica is growing like a weed now that I'm adding Thrive...I need to try to keep to my water change schedule, but I'm gone a lot.
I need to top it and replant. I love the color it's getting.

This is my 10g during a very neglected week
15b787ba311d883137d66c9a1986874d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that looks great. If I were to do a sand substrate. Could I mix it with like fluorite or whatever this plant boosters are?

Ok cool so I think I may be going with some kind of sand with pea gravel to aquascape. Anyone know if the pea gravel from homedepot or lows is safe?

So I grabbed some pea gravel from Home Depot, It looks safe. I will wash it up soon enough.

Anyways I was thinking substrate would go like this.

Pea Gravel on the bottom to promote aeration and reduce the sand from being to compact.
Clay in the middle to promote plant growth
Pool filter sand to cap it off, so I can aquascape.

Does anyone see any issues with this? Also where is a good place to get clay? And what is a good PFS choice? I've seen some at ace hardware. I can't find any in my home depot or lowes. The last time I used PFS it was from a local pool shop in another state.

I think it will all end up mixed. I know some folks use Laterite or other clay based substrates.

I'd skip the gravel.

I don't do layers or dirt tanks so I don't know for sure how that would work.

I put down a layer of root caps, about 6" apart and then layer my sand on top.

Or just do FloraMax or EcoComplete or Flourite.

I have ADA AquaSoil Amazonia in one tank but it's very expensive.

Root caps as in root tabs?

Isn't aqua soil and the fluorite or Eco-complete a dark blackish color?

Root caps as in root tabs?

Isn't aqua soil and the fluorite or Eco-complete a dark blackish color?

Yep. Root Tabs are often sold as a specific brand. Root Caps are made using gelatin capsules. But both work. I prefer the DIY ones. Much cheaper and Osmocote Plus is a proven winner.

And yes most of those are brown to black. It really shows off your fish. Many fish turn pale on White sand.

Back
Top Bottom