Getting confused by all the CO2/EI guides...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is it safe to assume the pH is fine if the drop checker is showing the right color? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

I was taught that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

I wouldn't say safe to assume. The drop checker shows you how much the pH has changed within it's isolated fluid. This in turn tells you how much CO2 you have added to the tank.

At 30 PPM CO2, your tanks pH should drop one pH unit.

7 to 6. If it was to much of a swing, I don't think you would see many tanks running CO2 that have fish in them.

7 to 6. If it was to much of a swing, I don't think you would see many tanks running CO2 that have fish in them.

Touche :)

I'll have to do some checking on what my tank tends to stick around currently so I can make sure a full point drop wouldn't be too far out of the comfort range of the species I have. Very helpful stuff, thanks!

You're welcome.

I have only been running aquariums for 10 or so years, so I not the most experienced nor am I a noob. With that in mind, I have given up on what pH is in my tank. It's not something I'm going to change. It is what it is.

I have bread many different species of fish and inverts in my tanks. I change the water once a week and add ferts throughout the week.

I think the last time I checked the pH was about 8 years ago.

I truly don't understand why people care about the pH. Unless you are breeding and need to lower the pH. It's more of a marketing stunt to sell you useless chemicals and make your life hell.

Heh, I hear ya. I generally go off how my fish are acting before I start worrying about testing anything. That said, I do try to keep the pH within ranges they've adapted for. I don't bother with the chemical crap, just use driftwood and/or crushed coral to raise/lower the pH long term as needed. If I need to bump the pH a bit for the Co2 to stay in the preferred ranges for my fish, then it's not a big deal, just will take some tinkering to find the right balance :)

I have to agree that pH probes are bit overkill for our situations. I didn't use a drop checker for a while either. I did the old school approach I suppose... Look for gasping in morning, pearling of plants and then dial back just a bit (I hate bubbles). After I had my set up running for a few months I got a drop checker and it always looked good. I eventually removed it and just let it ride out.

I had my CO2 kick on via a timer about 45 minutes before the lights did to get the levels up. Then the solenoid shut off about 35 minutes before lights out. Never had any gasping, plants grew like crazy, and it was pretty much a set it and forget it.

Back
Top Bottom