Getting rid of hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I have a 20 gallon (long) planted shrimp tank and I have been struggling with some hair algae problems! My tank has been running for about 2 months (it already had cycled filter media) I was told to get PhosGuard and lower my light time! I have a finnex fugeray planted+ with a little co2 here and there! Is there anything else I should do? Thanks in advance!

From what I can find if you dose under 3mL per gallon you will be fine.

Caleb

That's actually quite a bit. I never go over 1ml/gal unless im doing a wc shortly after. Spot treating with a syringe is my preferred method. I'd like to know where the 3ml/gal came from??
Op- phosguard huh? They actually say low phosphates lead to gha.. tell us all about the tank..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's actually quite a bit. I never go over 1ml/gal unless im doing a wc shortly after. Spot treating with a syringe is my preferred method. I'd like to know where the 3ml/gal came from??
Op- phosguard huh? They actually say low phosphates lead to gha.. tell us all about the tank..

Here's where I found it:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...n-peroxide.html#/forumsite/20597/topics/57832

Caleb

So I hope the op did not follow the before mentioned advice or follow the link to the "T" unless they're purposely willing to risk killing off their shrimp population..at 1ml per gallon my shrimp became instantly panicky&stressed...maybe consider the reasons behind the algae growth&begin there..these little guys pound for pound are super expensive&playing Russian Roulette with is not advisable..
Maybe before posting info for reference one might consider the source,compare to his or her own knowledge(or lack thereof)&not give advice based on info given out 8 yrs ago..not a reliable source..
#deohceguhami

sit in silence...

Thanks everyone! I don't think I'm going to use the peroxide, because it is a little risky! I think I'll just turn the lights off for a day or 2 and get some Amano shrimp!?

Not sure why you dudes are jumping him. He recommended a dosage/method several people on another forum have used with success. In case the two of you didn't read, 3mL for tank dosing followed by a water change. People stated they had never lost fauna by doing so. Maybe before bashing someone for cross referencing something that YOU do not agree with, you should instead state what works for YOU in your tank. People on this forum are becoming extremely intolerant of how someone else does things in their tanks. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know! Try posting your results instead of your insults!

Jesse

From what I can find if you dose under 3mL per gallon you will be fine.

Caleb

This is what was said.. in most circumstances the outcome would be less than desirable...
Jesse- nice post. Not helping the op in the least though.

..at 1ml per gallon my shrimp became instantly panicky&stressed...maybe consider the reasons behind the algae growth&begin there..these little guys pound for pound are super expensive&playing Russian Roulette with is not advisable.

sit in silence...

Maybe before bashing someone for cross referencing something that YOU do not agree with, you should instead state what works for YOU in your tank.

Jesse

There's my xp within my original post..advice given based on personal xp...

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom