getting serious now!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of getting rid of all my fake plants which are plastic and getting real plants and some real rock instead of all the fake stuff i have in my tank. my tank is finally cycled but i want to know what will happen to my water parameters when i put live plants in and rocks. What kind of rocks should i get or plants. I will have to change my light too to something more powerful than 15watts i'm sure. i've got all freshwater fish in a 20gal tank. can someone point me in the right direction and tell me what to do to get this task accomplished without destroying everything i've worked so hard to get. I know you have to boil the rocks and you can only get certain ones from the outdoors. I think it ridiculous to pay the prices that pet shops want for rocks, i'd rather find my own.

kmlong...

Most rocks are OK unless they: 1) are carbonate-based like limestone or 2) contain metals. Personally I just pick the rocks I want (keeping the above in mind) and give them a good rinsing in tap water, scrubbing off any stubborn material with a stiff-bristled brush (that hasn't been used for anything else). Boiling rocks isn't on my agenda. You can test for carbonate content by putting a couple of drops of Muriatic (Hydrochloric) Acid on the rock. If it fizzes then it contains carbonates. Muriatic Acid is available any place that pool chemicals are sold but it usually comes in 1 gallon bottles which will be a LOT more than you'll need. Vinegar (Acetic Acid) can be used as a substitute but it will take a lot longer for you to see any reaction because Vinegar is a very diluted solution.

One place you might consider when looking for rocks is a local rock shop. They often have petrefied wood available at reasonable prices and it makes a gorgeous aquarium decoration.

As for live plants....your light level, as you've noted, is less than 1 watt per gallon which restricts the selection of plants available to you. Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus), most species of Anubias, most species of Cryptocoryne and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum) will do reasonably well at the light level you currently have.

what about shale rock? if i have to i will change out the light source for something stronger. do you just bury them into the gravel just like fake plants? do i have to change water temps or anything?

Shale probably isn't your best choice simply due to the fact that most shales rapidly break down in water. Slate, on the other hand, will work very nicely.

You can get away with burying the roots of most plants in the gravel just like you would a fake plant but you must be careful not to damage the roots. Some plants like the Anubias species and Java Fern have thick rhizomes and are best when attached to a piece of wood or rock. Growing live plants isn't just a matter of sticking the plants in the substrate, however. Proper fertilization is necessary for good plant growth. If you can, I recommend you get a good general book on aquarium plants. Aquarium Plants - The Practical Guide by Pablo Tepoot is pretty good, if a bit pricey. Otherwise...you can just check out your local fish store...find the plants that interest you...and post back here in the Planted Aquarium section for more specific advice.

Back
Top Bottom