Getting started on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got a 10G and I have 3 mollies in there (one is possibly pregnant) and I put in two fake plants just in case they need to hide or just to feel a little more "at home" I guess. I decided to get a little more educated on plants so I can provide them with suitable hiding spots and so if fry may come they can hide. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of lighting do you have on that tank? An easy introduction to live plants would be of the low light tolerant variety. You can try some crypts, anubias, Java Fern, and moss. The cypts would need root tabs while everything else can benefit from a good liquid fertilizer like seachem flourish and excel.

I recently got a 10G and I have 3 mollies in there (one is possibly pregnant) and I put in two fake plants just in case they need to hide or just to feel a little more "at home" I guess. I decided to get a little more educated on plants so I can provide them with suitable hiding spots and so if fry may come they can hide. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you

I would check this article out...its the easiest plants for beginners. It doesnt have all the low-light/easy plants, but these are a good start.

With Mollies, esp if they are breeding, see if you can upgrade them to a 30g. A 10g is tiny for Mollies.

Full grown Mollies hit 3-5" and they are very active swimmers.

With Mollies, esp if they are breeding, see if you can upgrade them to a 30g. A 10g is tiny for Mollies.

Full grown Mollies hit 3-5" and they are very active swimmers.

I agree 100% because there's times I'll watch them and they're at the side of the tank trying to go further, I'm looking to upgrade very soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

My fish love small carpeting plants like glossostigma or utricularia. I got these as gifts and they require a bit more knowledge and effort to keep and grow...but with the really simple stuff I have (no CO2, and as much light as a t8 and a CFL can pump out) they are very much alive and growing (slowly).

A lot of people seem to like baby tears though. They look great and seem very easy to keep from what I've read. Otherwise java moss seem to be a easy option too!

Back
Top Bottom