GH and KH alteration question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tap water is basically in the 0-1 GH/KH range. I'm debating whether or not I want to alter my GH and KH and I need some input.

Since my water is so soft, I'm pretty sure i will need to add equilibrium/GH booster to make up the limited calcium/magnesium/etc that normally comes with harder water. Since I would be altering the GH would it be worth doing the KH as well?

I use a python to do my water changes, do you just add the needed amount to the tank when adding new water?

Do I even need to worry about the GH if I dose CSM+B (I don't believe it has calcium in it though)?

(I'm just starting to mess with GH properly, so grain of salt.)

I'd leave KH alone.

You should be able to treat GH Booster or Equilibrium like any fert. Your plants will consume Ca and Mg but the reset water changes should keep you close enough to stable.

CSM+B doesn't have much Mg either, and should be ignorable for GH purposes. For example, adding 0.2ppm Fe only adds ~0.04ppm Mg.

That is some nice soft water. At 0-1 you will want to add some Equillibrium. As for boosting the Kh, that would depend on the animals, plants, co2, waterchange frequency/size...etc ;-)

Quick update, I put out some water from my tap and it came back as 2 degree's KH and 1-3 degree GH (trying to look at such a diluted mixture I can't see if it is green or orange!!!). I am going to let it sit out overnight and double check the results tomorrow.

So far I have been able to get my CO2 in the range of 40-50ppm. I have a 20 gallon with 5 black phantom tetra's, 2 german blue rams, and 1 SAE (also a few snails and some cherry shrimp). I have quite a number of plants in the tank at the current moment (Can't remember them all off the top of my head). I also typically do a water change once a week.

I recently removed a rock that appeared to be causing too much of a spike in KH (was launching it to 10 degrees after I bumped up my CO2, didn't even react to my muratic acid test...go figure). I'm slowly bringing it back down via water changes now, but am a little concerned of having that high a CO2 range with such a low KH.

How do the fish react to changes in GH? I know GBR's are very sensitive to KH changes but I have really heard much about GH.

I would think about bumping up your KH, as your pH at those CO2 levels would be 6.0-6.1. That IMO is a bit low. Aim for 3-5 degrees KH and you should be set.

With GBR's in there, and the tetras, the low Kh, and resultant low Ph should be fine, even preffered. As for Kh, if it isn't broke don't fix it. In my main tank I run the Kh at 1-2 dKh and have great success.

Animals generally don't mind a bump in the Gh. So adding Gh booster, will help for ferts, and for inverts.

From what you describe, a 20 gallon tank and 50% weekly PWC's. 1/2 tsp of Equilibrium or Greg Watsons Gh booster, at water change, and you should be in good shape. Leave the Kh alone, unless you need to mess with it for some specific reason.

If for some reason you decide to adjust your Kh (and again IMO you should not have to) then 1/4 tsp of baking soda per 10 gallons should raise your Kh by 1-1.5 dKh. I only mix Kh in separate 5 gallons jugs myself, baking soda has a strong effect on Kh and it is safer to mix separately. If you do choose to buffer then the Kh, then 1/4 tsp (level) at water change should be all you need.

Back
Top Bottom