GH & KH questions. Edit: add ? about nutrient deficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roach182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought Nutrafin KH/GH test kit so I could use "Chucks planted aquarium calculator" to figure out my CO2 levels for my plants. I new my water would be hard because it leaves evidence of that in my tea kettle. Also I knew it would be well buffered because ph down will only affect my swimming pool water for a few hours at most and the PH goes rightback to the level it comes out of the tap at. My GH is 70ppm and KH is 130ppm. Does any body else have water this hard? My fish and plants seem to be happy and healthy. Also what are the "degrees of hardness" that people talk of, is that a different test kit? Or is it a calculation based of the GH/KH readings?

To get the "degrees of hardness" (german calculations I believe) you divide the total ppm by 17.6. In your case, your gh would be @4dgh and your kh would be @7dkh.

If that is the case, your GH is actually not high at all (with frequent water changes probably won't be a problem nutrient wise), and your KH is perfect for injection of CO2. You could inject 50ppm and not be dangerously low!

So yes many others have significantly harder water than yours. I have very low KH (~20ppm), but my GH is about 180ppm, so I need to dose baking soda to buffer from the CO2, but don't have to worry about calcium/magnesium (you probably won't either, but watch out for deficiencies if you go to long without a PWC).

Yes, your water is fine. my Gh is 12-13dGh and a Kh of 10dKh. Much harder water than you, and TravisSimonson's parameters make mine look almost soft!

So there is a chance I could have a calcium/magnesium deficiency in my tank? I don't have a test kit to measure calcium or magnesium (or is that what the kh/gh kit does) so I don't know what my levels are. My water parameters are:
phosphate = 1.0
nitrate = 15
ph = 6.8-7.0 (this put my co2 at 22ppm-35ppm)
ammonia and nitrite = 0
GH = 70ppm = 4 degrees
KH = 130ppm = 7.4 degrees

I dose twice weekly with potassium sulphate at 20 ppm for K
I also dose twice weekly with a liquid fert. that contains micros. (fe, cu etc.)

29 gallon with 3x20w t8 = 2 wpg.
as of today running 4x20w t8 = 2.75 wpg
(1 sun-glo, 1 aqua-glo, 1 life-glo2 and 1 flora-glo)

Two of my plants are thriving (java moss and a dwarf lilly bulb from wal-mart), several look healthy but show no sign of growth, and several are struggling to stay alive.

Looking at http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm it could be just about any of those symtoms apply to my plants (other that I know it cant be nitrogen, phosphate or potassium).

Is there a test kit for calcium/magnesium or should I wait a week to see if the extra light will help?

Is that a typo in the liquid fert dosage (fe, cu)? I doubt if you have a calcium or magnesium deficiency. The only way to know is to describe the plants that are not healthy or striving. Pictures would work as well.

What specifically are you using to dose your traces? Not all brands are created equal, so it could be something as switching ferts. Flourish Comprehensive, Tropica Master Grow, and CSM+B are all good choices. If you're using something else, I would recommend switching to one of these.

Here is the liquid fert I am using for micro:

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=121&PROD_ID=01076740030101

- 236 ml(8oz)
- Fertiliser for freshwater plants
- Fulfills the nutritive requirements of plants
- Replenishes valuable nutrients
- Optimizes growth
- Contains beneficial trace elements
- Promotes vibrant colours

- 0.15 – 0 – 0

Guaranteed Analysis:
- Total Nitrogen (N): 0.15%
--0.15% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen (Cheleated agent)
- Iron (Fe): 0.26%
-- 0.26% Chelated Iron
- Manganese (Mn): 0.05%
-- 0.05% Chelated and soluble Manganese
- Zinc (Zn): 0.003%
-- 0.003% Chelated Zinc
- Boron (B): 0.0005%
- Copper (Cu): 0.0005%
-- 0.0005% Chelated Copper
- Molybdate (Mo): 0.0007%
-- 0.0007% Chelated Molybdate

no the cu fe was not a typo :D

I will try to get some pictures but will not be able to get them and post them until Monday. I am at work right now and after work I am going on a trip for several days. Hopefully my plants will look a little better when I get back.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the stats for Flourish Comprehesive.

Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen 0.07%
Available Phosphate ( P2O5) 0.01%
Soluble Potash 0.37%
Calcium (Ca) 0.14%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.11%
Sulfur (S) 0.2773%
Boron (B) 0.009%
Chlorine (Cl) 1.15%
Cobalt (Co) 0.0004%
Copper (Cu) 0.0001%
Iron (Fe) 0.32%
Manganese (Mn) 0.0118%
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0009%
Sodium (Na) 0.13%
Zinc (Zn) 0.0007%

Based on these numbers I would say that the one you are using may be okay, but you would probably be better off switching to one of the brands I mentioned before as there are several Micro Nutrients that are missing from the fert you are currently using.

Back
Top Bottom