Giving plants too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 30 watts over my 10 gallon, but I leave it on from 7am til 10 pm (When I wake up for school and then go to bed) That's like 15hrs.

Is this to much time for the plants? Should I cut the time back?

I'd definitely cut back on the time your light is on. Plants rest when the light is off, and like all living things, need approproate amounts of active time and rest time. Also, at 15 hours of light, you're encourage algae to bloom.

The easiest and best way to manage lighting is to set up the lights on a timer so that they are on between 8 and 12 hours a day.

I think I agree. I've never tried to run a photoperiod greater than 12 hours before (I'm currently running my tanks at 9 hours).

If you want morning and nite time with your tank, you could do a split photoperiod. But, I prefer my tanks on in the evening so I run them 2-11pm.

Plants only take so long to photosynthesize... is that a word? You know what I mean, anyhow, lol. ;)

After 8-9 hours, 10 at most, you are only feeding algae. The plants have done what they will do.

Back
Top Bottom