giving up on dwarf clover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
Over a month ago I planted some Dwarf clover. Although it started to grow, every morning I would find some floating in tank. Everytime i replant it it disturbs the clover next to where I replant. Its an ugly cycle.
The problem is my dojo loach, albino cat and and another loach (black with yellow markings), are constantly digging for food up rooting the clover.

Eco complete with its bigger grains (stones) also is not condusive to this small clover rooting.
Sadly I may pull it for whatever the forum recommends as a good carpet plant that can handle the bottom dwelling fish.

55gal
injected co2
2.3 wpg x8hrs--(2hr burst at 4.7 wpg)
Greg watson ferts

thanks

Before you remove it, try holding it down with weight strips. That's how I secure mine, and I have Eco Complete. I don't have any uprooting/digging fish, though.

I went through the same exact situation as you, Cliff. My dojo would uproot any foreground plant I have every single day. I got rid of the dojo loach and am very happy I did. I now have some cory's to replace him.

your other loach would be a kuhlii loach. I had two of them and they always uprooted my dwarf hairgrass, I to had to get rid of them. I would get some corries to replace them as they wont uproot them.

I think that in order to get any plant to successfully form a carpent in your tank you're going to need to at least temporarily remove the fish that are uprooting it. This will give the plant time to get established and get a good foothold in the substrate. After it has established itself it will be better able to withstand the attensions of fish. Of course there are some fish that simply don't belong in a tank with plants.

Back
Top Bottom