GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Athaocity @manbeast @Evansimp

Thank you!!! :)

@maxwellag

Thanks... yes, I'm curious to see how well the Ray II performs. Here's hoping to some good growth!

Stunning! I would love to know how easy this was to setup. I think I would love to do something like that with my ten. How much did all the decor cost if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks Samzter. Hmm, let me see... The ADA Yamaya stone was $18 (5.99/lbs). The sand was $1. The substrate is a combo of Floramax and Fluval Stratum. I didn't use the whole bag of either substrate (got plenty leftover for another project). The Manzanita branch, from the bird section of Petsmart, was $6. The only flora i purchased was the HC, pygmy chain sword, and Flame Moss, HC and chain sword was about $5 each and the moss was $10 (pretty pricey for rare moss i guess). The other flora are clippings from my other tank (free).

Not sure how to calculate the substrate or if you even count that as decor? I didn't use the whole bag of either.. I actually had the floramax on hand from another project. The Floramax was $10 for 12lbs. And the Fluval Stratum was $11 for 4.4lbs.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Thanks Samzter. Hmm, let me see... The ADA Yamaya stone was $18 (5.99/lbs). The sand was $1. The substrate is a combo of Floramax and Fluval Stratum. I didn't use the whole bag of either substrate (got plenty leftover for another project). The Manzanita branch, from the bird section of Petsmart, was $6. The only flora i purchased was the HC, pygmy chain sword, and Flame Moss, HC and chain sword was about $5 each and the moss was $10 (pretty pricey for rare moss i guess). The other flora are clippings from my other tank (free).

Not sure how to calculate the substrate or if you even count that as decor? I didn't use the whole bag of either.. I actually had the floramax on hand from another project. The Floramax was $10 for 12lbs. And the Fluval Stratum was $11 for 4.4lbs.

So that worked out to be about $66 and over here that would be £41 . That's a great deal . I'm gonna defiantly do this with a ten.

aqua_chem said:
Is that chain sword in the background? It's freakishly tall.

Yup (echinodorus tenellus) ... I'll just trim it to size. Never worked with that plant before so i hope it works out.. Kinda want a tall grassy look in the background.

Most of the e. tenellus that I've seen was about the same size was dwarf sag, 3-5" depending on a number of factors. I've had them grow tall when they grow so thick that they start to block their own light, but not under normal circumstances. They might end up growing shorter than what you like.

That might not be good.. How do you suppose it's so long then? It's weird too because when i look up e. tenellus online and in YouTube i find some to be short with broader leaves (looking like dwarf sag), while other specimens under the same name have long and narrow leaves. Are their two species under the same name or something?

I was inspired to use e. tenellus by this video (see below) of it i found.. Now you have me a bit worried that i might not turn out that way.. I actually saw some freakishly long dwarf hair grass, that obviously hasn't been trimmed, at the same LFS. It's probably the same height as the e. tenellus. Never seen dwarf hair grass this long... Do you think that would have been a better option Aqua_Chem?

Brian_Nano12g said:
I was inspired to use e. tenellus by this video (see below) of it i found.. Now you have me a bit worried that i might not turn out that way.. I actually saw some freakishly long dwarf hair grass, that obviously hasn't been trimmed, at the same LFS. It's probably the same height as the e. tenellus. Never seen dwarf hair grass this long... Do you think that would have been a better option Aqua_Chem?

I'm not aquachem but I know the answer to your question. There are a lot of species of hairgrasses, and the one at your LFS was most likely a larger species.

I'm not even sure where the e. tenellus is in that video. He lists it in his description, but it looks like mostly HC and elecharis sp. This guy's chain sword is more what I've come to expect.

Thanks fellas! Darn, I should of went with that really long DHG.. I'll see it how the chain sword works out a bit.. If I don't like the direction it's going, I'll probably switch it out.

So I've been reading a little more on e. tenellus and it got me a bit worried about leaving it in there in such a small confined space. I'm worried about containing it and having to chase down runners (which I've read can shoot out and spread quite far). So what do you guys think about me switching out the e. tenellus for eleocharis acicularis?

Eleocharis species are the true masters of invasiveness. E. tenellus is large enough that it should be fairly easy to keep in check and remove when it make a break for it. If your worried about it, you can make some sort of an acrylic shield that you can put under the substrate to block off runners.

Looks like I'll just keep the E. tenellus in there for now.

Update... 7 days since planted :)

Seems like the Finnex Ray 2 is doing a good job growing my red plants such as the ludwigia sp. red and the rotala colorata. It seems that the HC is doing well, although I haven't seen much pearling going on. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's still acclimating to being planted in a new aquarium (previous being in a pot for several weeks in 4w/gal). Some of the leaves on the pygmy chain sword turned a bit yellow so I removed them. I'm guess this is an acclimation thing as well--adjusting to new lighting, substrate, etc. Lastly, I planted a couple of more stems of p. errectus. My plan is to cover the equipment when they grow taller...

I have the co2 going at 1 bubble/sec. and still dosing seachem instructions. Not sure when I should implement the EI or PPS-Pro dry ferts.

Oh... and I added a female betta to help keep the seeded filter media alive and keep my tank cycled. I'm really diggin' her vibrant deep color red. It contrasts well with the green plants and compliments my ludwigia red and r. colorata.

Here's some pics... (I'm a picture heavy type of guy, although I'm a bit too lazy to bust out the DSLR):

8051758340_6768dd5393_b.jpg

8051758260_1dd9f0aa44_b.jpg

8051752937_efc4c3ae65_b.jpg

Great

Great job, looks really nice. A good example of learning, researching, and asking questions before setting up a new project..

Great job:dance:

Back
Top Bottom