Glass Canopy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I bought a new PC fixture for my new planted tank. The new one did not fit on my plastic hood.

Today I bought a glass canopy and put the fixture on top of it.

What is the problem with glass canopys? Does the tank water get hotter, or the light itself?

Thanks

Depends on the light. Does it have a fan inside? If not, then setting it on the glass could warm up the glass some, and maybe the tank as well. Some people like setting it up on legs, like myself. And if you don't have legs, could try sitting it up on small wood blocks about an inch or so off the glass. That way it gives a little room for air flow under the light fixture. But if it's a small fixture and doesn't get real hot, then no worries.

I bought a coralife CF fixture and it does get hot. I was going to try to put it up on something but I was worried about the weight on the glass

You should able to buy legs for that fixture. Won't be more than a few dollars. The glass will support the weight, but since that is a PC fixture, it will get hot, unless it comes with a built in fan.

The legs that Coralife sells for those units are nice. They dont actually distribute the weight on the glass rather they put it on the the plastic trim around the tank. Those legs also will help with the heat that the unit puts out aswell. Another nice thing is that it will distribute the light more evenly through the tank being that its raised 2 to 2/1/2 inches above the tank. HTH

Back
Top Bottom