Glass ledge for Glass top Compatibility with Luminaire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If the title was a little confusing sorry and i'll try to simplify it a little...I've already ordered a luminaire and now i am worried that it won't be compatible with my tank as it has a built in glass ledge.

At first i wasn't worried about this as all tanks that have luminaire's should have a glass top or at least some cover. I don't fully understand how the luminaire attaches to the tank but i am worried that there isn't enough room for it to do so.
Here is a link to the Luminaire... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=270011593200&rd=1&rd=1

And here is a link to a picture of the glass ledge on my tank... http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc09866gf1.jpg

Woops, forgot to say that i already have a glass top! sorry.

Does it really just sit? All the times that i've seen luminaire's on the web there clipped on somehow at the sides and back. I think i would prefer mine to clip on somehow :?

IUf it comes with legs then you can clip it above the tank like a lot of members do. Should be too much to get it to work becaus eI would assume that there is still a part of the top that rises above the glass top and that is where the legs will attach.

Most hoods just rest on top of the glass top with no problems. You do not need to clip it down. If you use the feet to prop it up higher over your tank, you will get less light to your foreground (may not be an issue for you), and IME, using the feet makes it more wobbly... Having it rest on the glass is a solid way of handling it.

One last thought... If that light gets very hot, you may want to get it up off the glass by an inch or two. I use a couple small pieces of wood at the ends of my light that prob it up about 1-inch over the glass to avoid a heat crack.

Notice the little piece of wood I use:

DSC06706.JPG

The weight of the light is more than enough to keep it solidly sitting there.

I use the legs with my fixtures, as they are much higher light, and can get real hot. No issues of wobbling either.

LWB, the Odyssea hoods seem to sit pretty sturdily on their feet, but I have read that the Current USA hoods can be a little less solid (they don't have the same screw-down clamps). Here is where I saw that:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=239&limit=recent

Satsumas, I thought I saw a pic of your tank, but I can't seem to find it... Could you post up a pick of the top? If there is no ledge, other than the one that is covered by your new glass top, then you may not be able to use the legs... I guess you will know soon :) No big deal either way, really.

My 48" Odesseas are ok on the legs, they could have been a little better designed. But my Coralife fixtures are excellent, and solid. I think they are all around one of the best fixtures, and best in design, as the fans are also silent. Wish I had more money, I'd replace the Odysseas, but the Coralifes are just too spendy for me right now. The Odesseas are good fixtures, but the fans are poorly designed, and noisy. They are good for their price too.

I also like the idea of the wood blocks that you use as well. That will help keep the glass from getting too hot, and more air flow, keeping the tank a little cooler.

Yeah i think i will have to rest it on the glass judging by the tiny gap left by the ledge, this doesn't seem a problem from your response's :D I did wonder about the heat issue and i may also have to get some small pieces of wood as a precaution just in case it does get too hot.
Here is a picture of the tank and ledge... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=270011593200&rd=1&rd=1

If that doesn't work then it's basically just a glass ledge which sits about half an inch from the top of the glass and runs all around the tank. But yes it probably won't be an issue. Which is a relief!! Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom