Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by czcz
Also a GlenC fan and think he's being modest

I like to hope hitchiker snails from gurus carry their mojo...
Glenc is very selfish. He must have picked all the snails off of the plants he mailed me.

edit:
I was sitting on the throne pondering the meaning of life when I had an epiphany... I now know Glenc's secret to stunning plants. Its not fertilizers, camera skills, 'scaping skills, or anything like that.

ITS KARMA!

When Glenc sent me some plants (and wouldn't let me reimburse him for shipping), I looked at the shipping label to see how much shipping cost him and only the did I realize the full depth of his generosity. Stunning plants are just Karma's way of rewarding his kindness and generosity to his fellow hobbyists.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbaz
I was sitting on the throne pondering the meaning of life when I had an epiphany... I now know Glenc's secret to stunning plants. Its not fertilizers, camera skills, 'scaping skills, or anything like that.

ITS KARMA!
Indeed...I was tripping all over myself trying to figure it out. I just sent a PM asking for a tad bit...

Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol i think glen is bcome the new travis just on a smaller tank scale lol. i have recieved many of things from glen and will soon add a 65 watt coralife fixture he said i can borrow untill i dont need it lol. i just cant get over ow awesome he is. here is a pic of the man himself and me. i was still glowing from the 8 bags og plants and the extra filter and the extra light and bulbs and diffusers and and and.... well all the stuff he brought me lol.
glens on the left and i am on the right. u can see my guppy tank to the right of me and the 20 gal is behind glen. the guppy tank is now the proud host my new yellow lab fry enjoy!! i am sure glen had hope this picture wouldnt surface again lol.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Holy cow, is my face red! Cut it out already!
It is my pleasure to help others out if I can, just like the rest of you. If you all only knew how long I lurked around here reading posts and taking information before I actually joined up. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the inspiration and advice from all of you my tanks would not exist.
If only the spirit of comradery and generosity that exists here existed more outside this forum and into our interaction with other people in our everyday life... Sorry, you get sappy in your old age!

For me, real red plants =
Low N03, 5 to 10 ppm constant, tricky when your tank uses 2 to 4ppm per day
1.5 to 2 ppm P04, higher side is better.
20 K
35 to 40 ppm C02 constant, that was with DIY, two 2L bottles. Change 1 bottle every week.
Combined with whatever is in my rock hard water, no or very little micro dosing, maybe 1 ml TMG once a week.
Also use quantum lightning rod bulbs, aqua flora plus. 20 wt 6700k. 4x20 over a 20 gallon high. Sometimes swap out two 6700k for 11,000 k lightning rods as well, didn't seem to make much difference, just more blue. All that works for me when I have the energy to keep it up.
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenc
I was fanatical with testing and dosing, re testing and dosing again, not so much anymore, no need. I learned alot, screwed things up and fixed em, still learning tons every day.

Thanks to EI, things are alot easier, and still nice and red!
Thanks Tom.
That L. pantanal is one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen.
Seems most folks spend way too much time obsessing about things that do not matter nearly as much as they think they do and should rather focus on whole systems.

Few of the best plant growers and best scapers in the world are much less concerned.

They add more of this for plants, or less of that for the fish.
There are few things that fall outside this simple sentance.

Pruning, general mainteance etc.
Yes, it's work, but this gardening style hobby requires more work than many assume.

Non CO2 tanks are easier and for the more patient, but well groomed CO2 enriched tanks take a lot more work than most realize.

EI is "back learned".
I was doing it for some years prior and figured it going back and testing etc. So it came more from the less scientific approach and observation, then it was analyzed, not the reverse as most assume. Dutcgh scapers alsodid this but less knowningly from any account I've found to date, they had high PO4/NO3 in their tap and they simply added some Traces and K and that took care of most things.

Whether it's in the sediment or the water column.........or both....matters not to the plant, as long as they have access to enough nutrients for a given growth rate.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nice pictures! Very stunning plants. Hope mine will some day look like your guys.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com