glosso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i want to get glosso but the only place online that i found it is
http://www.aquariumplants.com
but the shipping is high lol where else might i find it
that is reliable?

Also i was told i might want some fast growing plants
anyone have any sugestions?

there are alot of fast growing plants but we need to know what your set up is. list what size of tank, lighting, co2, ferts,substrate and anything else u can think of and we can start helping u.

yep yep. Glosso is a demanding plant. It needs a nutrient rich substrate with high light and preferably CO2 and ferts. If you don't quite have that then try Hemianthus callitrichoides, its a little less demanding (but a little harder to plant lol).

But, as mentioned we need to know your tank set up. Also what planting locations are you looking for (Background, Midground, Foreground, Driftwood/Rock, etc).

Glosso can usually be found at your local stores rather easily. It is an incredibly popular plant because of it's nice carpet effect.

Well its an 80 Gal tank
4x 96 Watt pc lights 10000K each
pressurized Co2
nitrite = 0ppm
ammonia = 0ppm
nitrate = 20ppm
phosphate = welllll over 10ppm "having hard time getting it down"
canister filter
about 80 Degrees
i do use ferts "except phosphate lol"
sand substrate
has some swordtails in there now

also i have that black sand im probably going to need the fert tabs
now is there a certain amount i should stick in or can i over do it by sticking in too-many?

looking for fast growing background and midground plants
also is this sufficient for glosso?

TIA

that is more than sufficient for glosso and any other plant u wish to try. i would suggest some easy plants to start like hygros and l.repens then u can move up to the harder stem plants like macranda and others. i dont have alot of stem plants yet but am slowly adding more and more to see what will gro for me. there are alot of members with similiar set ups as your so i am sure they will post with some selections. u really need to get your phosphate down and i am suprised u havent had major algea problems. u should look into some crypts aswell. very attrative and extreamly easy to grow. great for larger tanks like yours.

A few of my favorite looking ones. Check out plantgeek.com and see what you like, you can grow just about anything in that setup. Swords, like the Radican and Amazon are particularly usefull in large tanks like yours.

Midground
Ludwigia Repens
Ludwigia glandulosa
Myriophyllum heterophyllum

Background
Echinodorus Amazonicus
Eleocharis montevidensis
Myriophyllum aquaticum

Ok thanks
But what about the substrait fert tabs?
is there a limit to how many u should use at one time?

and yes im having HUGE algae problems i use a diatom filter as a bandaid
i do PWC of 50% but would it be better to do a larger one? over 75%

im just afraid of killing any beneficial bacteria

If your having algae problems, its usually caused by improper nutrient balance. If you have too much nutrients in the water, then the algae will prosper. Plants will use more nutrients when they are fed more light and carbon so it is likely you either...

1. Do not have enough light
2. Do not have enough carbon dioxide
3. Do not have enough plants for the ferts you dose

1. First of all, you have very high light based on Wizard~of~Ozz's Oh Glorious Light, which is quickly becoming somewhat of a standard here at AA. (I actually went by a 90 gallon tank because I couldnt find dimensions for an 80). I don't think you have a lighting problem.

2. This is a possibility. You say you are using pressurized CO2, are you testing your PH/KH?

3. Also a possibility. First, make sure you are dosing for your size tank, however, dosing for the tank won't be accurate if you have 2 small plants in an 80 gallon tank (I'm thinking in extremes to illustrate a point). You could cut back your dosing but instead, most people prefer adding more plants :twisted:

For CO2 and Fert calculations I strongly reccomend Chuck's Calculator All of these links and many more can be found in the stickies at the top of the planted tanks forum.

my KH = 8 DKH
my PH = 7.0 ppm <-dropped from 7.5

and like i said i dont dose phosphate anymore
dose nitrate every now and then test for it every other day to keep an eye on it

but like u said is right i dont have verry many plants thus the reasion i was asking around for easy fast growers :)

also is my Co2 good?

*edit* will a 75% + water change hurt anything?

I can't imagine it doing too much damage. Usually the worst thing about large water changes is that it may shock some fish too much. Try to match the water parameters as closely as possible before doing it. Unfortunately you can usually only match temperature. If your worried, you could bag your fish and re-acclimate them after the water change.

Your CO2 is pretty good. 21 ppm is a good amount.
To get rid of your algae problem, I would plant, plant, plant. You need something to soak up the excess nutrients other than algae.

Thanks so much for all your help guy/gals
ill be getting more plants soon not sure when to get them as my wife is
due to have our baby anyday now dont want them sitting outside in the heat
of AZ most appreciated

Back
Top Bottom