Glossostigma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamBrisbane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased some glossostigma seeds online (eBay) as I was wanting to grow a carpet in my planted aquarium.

After making the buy I read there are a few fraudulent sales online and seeds frequently were not gosso.

I grew the seedling out in very shallow water in sphagnum moss.

My question, does anyone know if this is actually glossostigma ?

Also my mystery snails seem to love eating it. I was lead to believe they did not eat live plants.

IMG_0312.jpg

I had a mystery snail that ignored algae and ate part of my anubias ><
They will definitely eat plants

Better and closer pics would help but from what I can see I think you did get a proper glosso species.

Also on the snails they shouldn't eat live plant tissue. From my experience with snails they are eating dying material. I've never kept mystery snails and only had nerite, ramshorn and common pond snails.

I would suspect not enough light or nutrients if you are seeing yellowing of leaves. What is your dosing and substrate for the tank?

Last edited:
Mystery don't usually BUT that's a Golden Apple, they LOVE plants. AWESOME snail but definitely a plant eater

Better and closer pics would help but from what I can see I think you did get a proper glosso species.

Also on the snails they shouldn't eat live plant tissue. From my experience with snails they are eating dying material. I've never kept mystery snails and only had nerite, ramshorn and common pond snails.

I would suspect not enough light or nutrients if you are seeing yellowing of leaves. What is your dosing and substrate for the tank?

IMG_0315.jpg

I have 6600 lumens from a fluval 3.0
They substrate is aquascaping material, Aqua Lat and Aqua Earth. The only additive to the water is Flourish Advance.

I’m a longtime gardener but new to aquariums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully you got the real deal and not “scam seeds”. It may take 4-6 months to find this out.
I once grew some glosso from tissue culture but under highly light, decent CO2 and abundant ferts, it grew like a weed and covered everything. I did not bother trimming it; I just pulled it out. That was about 3 years ago. I still have some of it in a terrarium next to a window.

Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully you got the real deal and not “scam seeds”. It may take 4-6 months to find this out.
I once grew some glosso from tissue culture but under highly light, decent CO2 and abundant ferts, it grew like a weed and covered everything. I did not bother trimming it; I just pulled it out. That was about 3 years ago. I still have some of it in a terrarium next to a window.

Will do, thanks. What fertilisers do you like to dose with?

Back
Top Bottom