Glossostigma elatinoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your thoughts on this beautiful foreground plant? Anybody had success with it? I've heard it's quite hard to keep...

I'd be planting it in a Fluorite-based 55 gallon with 150W of light (a little low, but not too bad) and a CO2 tank system. I'd be fertilizing every 3 days or so with a trace mix from Hagen. Do you think I have too little light? Do you foresee any other problems with it?

TIA,
Jon

I'd like to try this one too. I don't have nearly as much light as you however. 330 watts on a 125 gal. My understanding is that because the plant is so tiny it's a royal pain to just to plant it in the substrate. I'm going to get a small amount and experiment a bit. I'll keep ya posted!!

Brian

It might work for you IF you have good reflectors. If not then you may not be getting enough light to the substrate. And your fertilization routine will not support it at all. Glosso is a nutrient hog. And the trace mix from Hagen is not going to cut it. You would need to be dosing NPK and iron along with traces. All in all I would say that with your current plan you are doomed to failure.

As I suspected... probable "failure."

I'm thinking that Dwarf Sag or Pearlweed might be an easier route to take. I'll keep you updated if I do choose one.

Thanks for the replies. (I'm still open to other comments, of course.)

I grow glosso pretty good in my 10 gallon with 35 watts of light and no reflectors. My experience with it is it grows ok as long as the nutrients are top notch and the light is decent. But if you want that thick carpet effect the light has to be super bright, lots of co2 and nutrients. I didnt dose my water for about 2 days and I saw immediate signs of it dying. The leaves were yellow and some pieces of it actually rotted and came up from the gravel. I started dosing again and it perked back up.

Back
Top Bottom