Going away for a few days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm goin away for around 5 days and I was wondering what I should do with my tank lights.

I only have Amazon Swords in there ATM but I have read that excessive lights will cause algae?

What Hoyle I do? On or off?

Thats for the tank at all to have a timer!! Its like 5 bucks!!! And it saves lots of problem regarding plants, but also fiah and algae!!

MonsterfishGuy said:
Thats for the tank at all to have a timer!! Its like 5 bucks!!! And it saves lots of problem regarding plants, but also fiah and algae!!

I'm in the UK, and in an area where Aquatic supplies are readily available. :(

Yeah, a timer is a necessity IMO. Any timer will work, as long as it is appropriate for your fixture (ie grounded if your fixture has a ground)... I got most of mine at walmart for $5. They work exactly the same as the $10 timer I got from petsmart that has the word 'aquarium' on it.

If, for some reason, you can't find any timers before you leave... leaving the lights off for 5 days won't hurt a whole lot. It would be a much better than leaving the lights on the whole time.

mfdrookie516 said:
Yeah, a timer is a necessity IMO. Any timer will work, as long as it is appropriate for your fixture (ie grounded if your fixture has a ground)... I got most of mine at walmart for $5. They work exactly the same as the $10 timer I got from petsmart that has the word 'aquarium' on it.

If, for some reason, you can't find any timers before you leave... leaving the lights off for 5 days won't hurt a whole lot. It would be a much better than leaving the lights on the whole time.

Thanks for the reply :)

The thing is I can buy more swords for less than the cost of the timer lol. I'll look into one for the future though as I'm sure it'll save my back from reaching down to flip a switch.

It's best to have a constant photoperiod, since you might forget to turn them off at some point... algae would love that. If you can't justify buying one for now, that's fine.. but I'll guarantee that you'll appreciate one as soon as you break down and get one. I have 5 planted tanks, all on separate timers. There's no way I could remember to turn them on and off every day, not to mention my split photoperiod would be impossible to do manually (because of work, life, etc).

So... if you're not getting one, definitely leave them off. Your swords will be fine, and you'll most likely get rid of any algae that may be present in your tank at the moment.

mfdrookie516 said:
It's best to have a constant photoperiod, since you might forget to turn them off at some point... algae would love that. If you can't justify buying one for now, that's fine.. but I'll guarantee that you'll appreciate one as soon as you break down and get one. I have 5 planted tanks, all on separate timers. There's no way I could remember to turn them on and off every day, not to mention my split photoperiod would be impossible to do manually (because of work, life, etc).

So... if you're not getting one, definitely leave them off. Your swords will be fine, and you'll most likely get rid of any algae that may be present in your tank at the moment.

If I get paid by work I'll get one and set it up, but if I don't I'll have to leave them off.

Thanks for all the advice tho :)

Asda has digital timer plugs in for £5. They are programmable for multiple times per day and can be different for every day of the week. ;)

I thought about a timer but I leave the light on for however long I feel like on a given day (usually to long lol) I would be upset. If Im awake I like the light on though I try to leave them off in the morning since I stay up late. However If Im up super late I will turn them off.

GodFan said:
I thought about a timer but I leave the light on for however long I feel like on a given day (usually to long lol) I would be upset. If Im awake I like the light on though I try to leave them off in the morning since I stay up late. However If Im up super late I will turn them off.

That's what I do too.

I'll have to look for one eventually but right now it's not a huge need.

Back
Top Bottom