going for the 125 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
couple questions

how much substrate do i need for a heavily planted 125

recommended for a budget? I'm thinking mixed high end with some cheaper brands..

and i think thats all for now ... thanksss :thanks:

couple questions

how much substrate do i need for a heavily planted 125

recommended for a budget? I'm thinking mixed high end with some cheaper brands..

and i think thats all for now ... thanksss :thanks:

I just did my tank, 55g, in sand, 50lbs bag of play sand i got at my local lowes for $3.50ish and still had half the bag left over. I'm just venturing into planted myself so I'm not much help as to how much you will need. I have found calculators on google that tells you how much you need, Ill see if I can find the link to it for you.

Here's the link. You put in your tanks length and width and the depth of substrate you want I achieve. Hopefully someone else will chime in on how deep you need it for heavily planted.

Substrate Calculator

thanks that calculator is helpful....I'm thinking 2"-3" would be enough and i'll keep a few extra bags just in case..

thanks that calculator is helpful....I'm thinking 2"-3" would be enough and i'll keep a few extra bags just in case..

What substrate did you have previously? Do you have or plan on having any bottom dwellers like cories or loaches as part of your stock?

Something to take into consideration if your wanting to do a planted tank is sand and gravel are both inert. Dirt and Commercial Plant Substrates have a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which allows the substrate to absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by the plants.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a couple bags of fluorite and eco-complete. I figure the best way to start is with a good foundation :) lets hope its worth it :fish2:

I used Just Natural Organic Potting soil from Lowes. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil with very good results. I've never used it personally or even read the bag but never heard any problems about it's ingredient list before either.

I'd ask a few people about Flourite. I've listened to alot of people on here talk about how dusty it is in the tank. If you get it I would suggest using it on the bottom and putting Eco on top as a cap.

I'd ask a few people about Flourite. I've listened to alot of people on here talk about how dusty it is in the tank. If you get it I would suggest using it on the bottom and putting Eco on top as a cap.

I totally agree with rivercats. Fluorite is super super dusty. Your going to want to rinse the heck out of it and it may still be dusty if disturbed.

^^ I agree with everyone above ^^
I've used eco, Fluorite, and I am a dirt convert. Fluorite is very dusty....if you use it rinse it out (kinda defets the purpose at that point). What I do in my tanks is a layer of red clay (you can get it at a craft store), 1lb per 20gal. Then I mix in organic soil (I have used miracle grow, all soil has ferts :), just make sure its all organic). Then when I have it ay the depth I want(make sure there is enough room for good root growth, I add my cap. If you do 2" of dirt and an inch of eco you will be set. You might only need one, maybe 2 bags of eco to cap it. And the soild and clay will cost you 10-15 bucks, eco around 20-40. Not bad for substrate :p (btw for the clay, it had to be red or terra cotta. both contain iron)

Back
Top Bottom