Going on vacation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am leaving for a week (dont cry, I will be back!) but I was wondering about dosing ferts. I have the whole food thing covered but I was wondering how bad it would be not dosing ferts for a week.

Not bad at all. The plants may not grow as much, but they will be fine. :) I've gone away for many vacations without dosing...just left my co2 running and the full lighting and I barely noticed any difference.

i disagree with leaving the lights and co2 on.

much safer to leave your lights off.

I'd worry about co2 as well, if your tank is at some equilibrium right now, the reduced oxygen production from the plants might hurt your fish (if you have your filter/output pointed downward to reduce surface agitation.

I live dangerously. :) I trust my solenoid and the only problem might be if the power went out and the timer was on an opposite schedule from the lights. Looks like Lowryder has DIY co2 though...only way to turn it off is to take it off the tank.

Yea, lights are on a timer and I have diy co2. So I am not really worried about co2 as the plants will still consume having the lights on a timer. I am also having a trusted person house sit my place, so if there is a power failure she will be aable to react.

Oh, I didn't know that lol. I've had problems with overdosing of CO2, and it haunts me ><

i'm just saying that the safest thing you can possibly do is pull your co2 and turn off the lights. 0%chance of a problem related to ferts, co2, lights, and algae.

but i'm just cautious like that, i also bought one of those plastic pill containers and put food in each day. that takes care of the risk of overfeeding too.

i guess if you wanted you could put your ferts in the same day of the container along with your food (only works with dry ferts obviously)

accidents happen

proper precautions prevent p*ss poor performance.

well i wouldnt risk the lights off with the plants a week. if it was a couple days yea. personally i would cut back the hours of light and call it a day.

I trust my solenoid and the only problem might be if the power went out and the timer was on an opposite schedule from the lights.
digital timers most have a battery back up.... and if it was the other normal pin type timer they both would be off the same time so they will still be in sync.

Back
Top Bottom