Going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going on a 10 day vacation in a couple of weeks and am wondering about the best way to keep things going while I'm gone without coming back to an algae farm.

We will likely have someone stopping by 2-3 times for other pets and plants, so I can get this person to do whatever is needed.

I dose PPS-Pro and Excel daily (no CO2). I was thinking about reducing the light period to 6 hours, but is feeding 2-3 times during 10 days going to be enough? Also, what will likely happen to my tank if I don't dose ferts and Excel during this time? I think it's too complicated to ask of our "sitter" and I'm not sure that a good dose of Excel only 2-3 times will be effective due to the half life, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

I just got back from a 12 day vacation and i didnt do a thing to any of them. No food, no ferts no nothing and when i got back all was good. I left my lights on the timer for 6 hours and only have a little green algae going on in my planted tank but nothing to bad.

What's your setup like in terms of lights, plants, etc.? You can even go lower than 6 hour photoperiods while away. You can also put in root tabs that will slow release nutrients too. Most fish can go w/out feeding for more than a week. But since you'll have someone there to feed the pets, 2 or 3 times out of those 10 days and for sure you'll have nothing to worry about. I would just do a large partial water change prior to leaving.

What's your setup like in terms of lights, plants, etc.? You can even go lower than 6 hour photoperiods while away. You can also put in root tabs that will slow release nutrients too. Most fish can go w/out feeding for more than a week. But since you'll have someone there to feed the pets, 2 or 3 times out of those 10 days and for sure you'll have nothing to worry about. I would just do a large partial water change prior to leaving.

Agreed...^^ :)

I'm running a Fugeray on a 26g bf and have low light plants (ludwigia, anubias, crypts, and swords). I have otos, guppies, hatchets, rummynose tetras, and a pair of GBRs.

I'm excited to realize that I can pretty much slow everything down for the duration instead of worrying about asking someone to help keep everything going as usual.

I think I will lower my light period to <6 hours for the duration, too. I was planning on a larger PWC just before leaving anyway and I just added more root tabs last week, so I should be good. Also, Rivercats mentioned that she puts individual food "doses" in Dixie cups for her sitters. I think that's a great idea and will do the same, although the likely hood of having effects from overfeeding is probably low due to the number of feedings while I'll be away.

Vacation Tank Maintenance

I'm going on a 10 day vacation in a couple of weeks and am wondering about the best way to keep things going while I'm gone without coming back to an algae farm.

We will likely have someone stopping by 2-3 times for other pets and plants, so I can get this person to do whatever is needed.

I dose PPS-Pro and Excel daily (no CO2). I was thinking about reducing the light period to 6 hours, but is feeding 2-3 times during 10 days going to be enough? Also, what will likely happen to my tank if I don't dose ferts and Excel during this time? I think it's too complicated to ask of our "sitter" and I'm not sure that a good dose of Excel only 2-3 times will be effective due to the half life, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Hello mozz...

I have someone come in once a day to check the place, but I don't have them do anything with my tanks, other than make sure everything is running. If you keep things simple, there's less that can go wrong.

When I get ready to go on vacation, I start feeding the fish a bit more and a bit more often a week or so before I leave. Then, a couple of days prior, I stop all feeding and do a larger than normal water change. While I'm gone, the fish clean up all the little leftovers and live off the little fat reserves they packed on the week prior. I come home to a clean tank and the fish are healthy as ever.

B

I'm running a Fugeray on a 26g bf and have low light plants (ludwigia, anubias, crypts, and swords). I have otos, guppies, hatchets, rummynose tetras, and a pair of GBRs.

I'm excited to realize that I can pretty much slow everything down for the duration instead of worrying about asking someone to help keep everything going as usual.

I think I will lower my light period to <6 hours for the duration, too. I was planning on a larger PWC just before leaving anyway and I just added more root tabs last week, so I should be good. Also, Rivercats mentioned that she puts individual food "doses" in Dixie cups for her sitters. I think that's a great idea and will do the same, although the likely hood of having effects from overfeeding is probably low due to the number of feedings while I'll be away.

With the plants you have listed running your lights daily as little as 4-5 hours won't hurt in the least and that will pretty much keep any algae from trying to set up house in the tank either. Then add pre-making feeding cups so there is no chance of overfeeding problems and you should be in really good shape. Have a nice trip!

Back
Top Bottom