Going planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsession

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, well I have a 180 gallon tank (8' long, 2' wide, 18" tall), and as of right now all I have in there is a java fern bulb which has just begun to show signs of life.

I have 2 48" double strip shop lights, about 32 watts T8 (daylight fluorescent, 6500k) per bulb.

Gravel: Right now all I have is sand. But I'm thinking to either completely switch to eco-complete, or mix eco-complete with the sand.

I would like to know what types of plants are suited for the aquarium, since I have no clue what type of lighting I have, or even what types of plants exist.

Also, I'd like to know what else I would need in order to make the plants grow beautifully.

Last edited:
You have very low light over the tank and would be limited to Java fern and Anubias. If you want more choices, I'd suggest getting a T5 HO (high output) or power compact fixture to get more wattage over the tank.

If you're serious about it, I just put TEK T5HO fixtures over my 125 and have never been happier with a light fixture.

Also I don't believe that Java Ferns grow from bulbs. Could you have an apothegen bulb?

Ok, so if I change my one of my lamps to a 48" 4x54W T5HO fixture, would it work (something like this, except maybe slightly different)

About the bulb, I'm not sure what it is, my friend gave it to me saying it was a Java Fern bulb. I'll see try to see what it is after a few leaves come up.

That would still be low light, but not near as low as you have now of course. You should atleast have some options of some stem plants and would be able to keep it low tech (no co2, possibly no ferts).

I totally overlooked the bulb part of your first post. Javas don't grow from bulbs, so its most likely an Aponogeton or maybe even some type of lotus plant.

Back
Top Bottom