Going planted- NEED ADVICE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fibsog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tan
Going planted, and here it is. I have incadescent light. I do not want a co2 system, id like low tech. Im going for a look with grass on the ground in places and 3 groves of assorted plants. I am doing this saturday. So. What do i need? I am not using sand but i am using smaller gravel pieces. So i guess i need.....oh, what do i know!? Please help! :)

When I had my planted tank I opted not to use any gravel I just used Eco complete. If I wasn't careful during top off and water changes the tank would get cloudy so used a really small cheap pump to refill the tank and it stopped that. I also went with the grass look so I bought guppy grass and it spreads fast. If you want low tech (which is what I did) I bought all low light plants and added fertilizer as directed. It was very low maintenance.

When I had my planted tank I opted not to use any gravel I just used Eco complete. If I wasn't careful during top off and water changes the tank would get cloudy so used a really small cheap pump to refill the tank and it stopped that. I also went with the grass look so I bought guppy grass and it spreads fast. If you want low tech (which is what I did) I bought all low light plants and added fertilizer as directed. It was very low maintenance.

Yes but guppy grass will overgrow an i may not have time to tend to it. I may use sag or DHG. I am getting the plants tomorrow, so i will ask the people at the lfs

DHG needs higher light levels. Light is your limiting factor. The fish shop employees will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. Dont take their advice seriously

What size is the tank? Incandescent light, no co2, and gravel all work against growing a healthy and lush DHG carpet. Don't mean to sound like a downer, but you should either reconsider that plant or make upgrades to address those factors.

Dwarf sag will not grow well in gravel and needs high light. If you want a grass like area with no CO2 or high light needed, try moss growing through mesh. Like a moss wall but laying on the substrate. To get a carpet plant you need softer substrate and higher light. Higher light means at least diy CO2 or algae will set in.

Back
Top Bottom