Going to do my 10gall planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well it "was" planted..with fake plants but I desided I wanted real plants... and was wondering what kind of plants I should get..their are TONS I like...but the LFS only carries so many... :roll: :(
anyways, here is a list of the ones I have and am going to keep
Java fern (LOVE it) to heck with who ever said you cant grow java fern in gravel..I cant grow it on drift wood but it grows like mad in my gravel!) I love java fern, I think it is really neat looking
java moss (if I could get it to grow :roll: )
anubis (resuced it from petsmart and has been doing really well)
aponogeton (like the way it looks)
red ludwigia (it is growing fine....)

and here is what I like but....
if I can find these plants would they be ok? ( I have the a HUGE FW plant book, but I waned to ask yall first)

japanese rush?
cabomba?
pygmy chain sword (love it..if I could find it)
hairgrass (think it is really neat looking, if I could find it)
glossostigma elatinoides?
star rotala?
Heteranthera zosterifolia? (that ones looks really cool)
lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae?
giant sagittaria?
straight vallisneria?
variegated Japanese rush?

also...I was thinking about (when I get around to doing this) to getting some eco complete (?) I have read it is really good for plant growth! and my lighting would be about..60 watts (ish) so ya....I would like some info on the plants THANKS! ( I dont have to have ALL those plants...those are just the ones that interested me)
thanks!

The aponogeton will eventually outgrow the 10g. They get really tall. As do Vals, so if you don't have them yet I'd skip them.

japanese rush? I dont know anything about this one
cabomba? is gonna grow really fast...if you are up to the constant trimming, go for it
pygmy chain sword (love it..if I could find it)
hairgrass (think it is really neat looking, if I could find it)
glossostigma elatinoides?
star rotala? never heard of this one
Heteranthera zosterifolia? (that ones looks really cool) It grows really fast in high light and CO2...probably too fast for a 10g
lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae?
giant sagittaria? probably grows too tall for a 10g
straight vallisneria? will grow too tall
variegated Japanese rush?

The chain sword, hairgrass and gloss would all be foreground plants, so I'd pick one...probably whatever you can find.

One thing about choosing plants for a 10g is you have to keep in mind the height...they aren't very tall at all. If you have high light (which 60 watts would be), stem plants will grow very fast so you'll be constantly trimming...and plants like vallisneria will grow too tall.

With 60 watts over the tank I hope you have some form of CO2 and fertilization.

What substrate are you using?

well I can DEFF cut the light to 40...easier on me...
im up to constant trimming... I like it alot and will find places for the cuttings HEHE
I have just normal peat gravel at the momment, but I would like to go for some sort of really fine gravel (like really fine) or eco-complete..but im not sure...and I will be doing liquid fertilization...but no CO2...
oh also..thanks so much for the help...that helped me so much...even if you diddnt know it :D

If you don't have CO2 you should atleast get some form of DIY yeast CO2 because even with 40 watts you are going to have algae problems. All you would need is 1 2 liter bottle. You can use a fine airstone to diffuse the CO2. Google DIY CO2 and you'll get tons of sites that will tell you what to do and what the mixture is. Its much cheaper to do DIY then to buy a system like the Hagen or Red Sea system. They are basically DIY but more expensive.

ok, I think im going to do really fine quart size subtrate.... and going to try to figure out the DIY thing.... LOL and I was wondering for the bottom "carpet"...IF (BIG if...) I could find both pygmy chain AND hair grass...could I mix it... ...or maybe do like...pygmy chain in the front and hair grass in the back or something? Thanks

You could do like Chain sword on the left front and hairgrass on the right front if you wanted. Or you could put it in the back...they are really foreground plants though, but if you don't want tall plants in the back you could go with either of those.

Back
Top Bottom