Going to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've decided to plant my 20 gallon tank but it is all fake with clown puke gravel ( was my first tank). It has fish in it and a couple Anubias plants on driftwood and a moss ball. I want to go fully planted dirt bottom. How can I go about doing this without harming my fish?

To change the substrate, you'll have to remove all the fish and plants, drain the water, take out the old substrate, put in the new, set everything back up, and prepare for a mini-cycle. What lighting do you have?

You do not have to remove the fish. I changed substrate with all my fish in. I just took all plants and decorations out, scooped out the gravel, and laid the sand down (after I washed it). I did not experience a mini cycle either. The fish were a little stessed, but were back to normal by the next day. Honestly I think it is more stressful for the fish if they are moved, but that is just my opinion.

okapizebra said:
You do not have to remove the fish. I changed substrate with all my fish in. I just took all plants and decorations out, scooped out the gravel, and laid the sand down (after I washed it). I did not experience a mini cycle either. The fish were a little stessed, but were back to normal by the next day. Honestly I think it is more stressful for the fish if they are moved, but that is just my opinion.

If the OP wants to do dirt (as stated), then yes, the tank will need to be drained.

Oh, must have missed the dirt detail. Sorry about that. If anyone was wondering how to switch to something other then dirt, then that can help them lol.

Setting up a dirt tank in this case?: Ouch :facepalm:

I'm wondering if it isn't easier for the OP to just buy a new 20gal when it's on the $1.00/gal sale and just set up the dirt on the new tank, transfer over the water, filter decor and fish. Then just leave the old 20 with old gravel as a QT?

Otherwise, the OP is looking at removing everything ... to set up the dirt and then put everything back. That's going to be stressful enough for the fish ... but not impossible.

Setting up a dirt tank in this case?: Ouch :facepalm:

I'm wondering if it isn't easier for the OP to just buy a new 20gal when it's on the $1.00/gal sale and just set up the dirt on the new tank, transfer over the water, filter decor and fish. Then just leave the old 20 with old gravel as a QT?

Otherwise, the OP is looking at removing everything ... to set up the dirt and then put everything back. That's going to be stressful enough for the fish ... but not impossible.

Hmm that could work. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the chance of a mini cycle because the filter would just be moved right over.

Hmm that could work. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the chance of a mini cycle because the filter would just be moved right over.

The more I think about, the easier it would be. It feasible mainly because 20gal are not too big so storing the old as a QT works. Also, they're relatively inexpensive via $1.00/gal, Craigslist etc. Trying to do this on larger tanks ... either way ... would just be a nightmare.

Imagine trying to do this on a 125gal? :blink: I'd love to go dirt on my 75gal ... But by the time I remove the fish (yeah good luck trying to catch Z.Danios) plants, DW ....etc..etc..etc... I'd want to :banghead:.

The biggest tank I've done that to (dirted from other substrate) was a 55g. I did have to remove the fish for 24 hours but it was easy since I used the QT tank with one of their filters and their tank water. It's a pain but worth the effort IMO.

Back
Top Bottom