Good 2.5g and 10g beginner plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I've been looking at a lot of planted tanks lately and I really want to get into it. Currently I have some Top Fin plant bulbs growing in there but I'd really like to get some other plants.

Unfortunately I don't know my exact lightbulb, but I know it's the stock one that came in an Aqueon 10g Deluxe starter kit. I'm pretty sure I would need to replace it if I wanted to grow any real plants.

I have sand for substrate and I have SeaChem's root tabs in there now to help with my bulbs.

What plants would work best in a 10g? I'm hoping for low maintenance and no CO2, I don't think I'm ready to tackle that yet.

Also, I'm planning on starting a 2.5g planted RCS tank soon too. I'd love some low growing plants for a carpet effect. I want to try an iwagumi-ish setup. Are there any easy ones out there? I have some leftover sand so I'd probably use that for substrate.

TL;DR- what low-maintenance plants work well in a 10g without CO2? what lighting would be best other than stock? what are some good, low maintenance carpet plants for a 2.5g tank?

I would go with some Dwarf Hair grass. I would also go with a general onion starting from a bulb. I would also consider using water sprite. I hope this helps!

I'd do some anubias, crypts, I seem to be doing well with my bacopa monnieri (moneywort), java moss, any moss, java fern, water sprite, wisteria, ludwigia! The list goes on! Look at the planted tank.net, it's really great with plants! Also with the lighting just pop out the lighting you have and get some CFL bulbs at the store for 6500K (daylight). They're cheap and really good to use!

I would also suggest looking at aquabid, there are some really great people on there!

Excuse my ignorance but what does CFL mean?

I have a lot of those stores In driving distance so I will check them out tonight for sure. My fishtank is at school right now so I don't know if i could get plants shipped to me or not but I will look into it!

Would I need any special equipment for pruning or anything?

Compact florescent lighting. It's just one of the bulbs that have a spiral in them. I'd just get a pair of scissors that are 'aquarium only' scissors. That's what I do and it works great for me!

All I'm seeing at PetSmart is an 18" 15w T8 Floramax strip light that says its for plant growth. There's no spiral though.. Should I check elsewhere?

There's also a Full Spectrum Daylight T8 as well but I can't see the K rating on them

Yah you can use a desk lamp at Walmart. I would get like a 60 watt bulb that out out at least 2700 lumens.

xtra51 said:
Yah you can use a desk lamp at Walmart. I would get like a 60 watt bulb that out out at least 2700 lumens.

I would not use a 60watt unless it's far away or you'll just grow Algae. AFAIK.

20-30 watts is fine for a 10g. Too much light without CO2 and Ferts will grow Algae farm.

Less light is less upkeep. :)

Coursair said:
I would not use a 60watt unless it's far away or you'll just grow Algae. AFAIK.

20-30 watts is fine for a 10g. Too much light without CO2 and Ferts will grow Algae farm.

Less light is less upkeep. :)

This is true! My setup doesn't grow algae. But most people would grow algae in their tank.

Coursair said:
Petsmart sells mini U shaped screw in CFLs. Marineland replacement bulbs for Hex 5 tanks is the one I use. Or Aqueon and Zoomed makes one also.
Just aim for 6500K
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147169

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11740166

They are more expensive but they fit my fixture and grow plants like mad.

I don't go too high wattage as my fixture isn't rated for it. For my 10g I run two 10-15watt bulbs.

These lights look great but I don't think they work for my tank, I think they screw in differently. I can't check until tomorrow though so I'll report back if I need more help! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom