Good and bad points open top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have a cat? I ask because I do and we are having the same debate in our house. Alas, we will have to cover because he is just too interested. It would be sad if he ate our $8 fish, but even more sad if our $1800 cat drowned in our 180g tank. We ended up ordering an extra set of lights to compensate for the cover.
You are way too optimistic. The cat would fall in the aquarium, knock over the lighting system trying to get out causing the lights to fall in the water which would cause them to short circuit electrocuting both the cat and fish and then setting your house on fire leaving you

Broke and Homeless

You are way too optimistic. The cat would fall in the aquarium, knock over the lighting system trying to get out causing the lights to fall in the water which would cause them to short circuit electrocuting both the cat and fish and then setting your house on fire leaving you

Broke and Homeless

And maybe dead

Wow, this thread just took a turn...

I leave my glass tops on primarily for evaporation. Question: okay to top off with distilled water?
Also, the glass tops prevent a lot of dust getting into the tank. It's not like I keep a filthy house, but if you don't dust frequently, it can build up.
Good point on the RCD/GFCI.

I use gfi arc fault surge strips so im fully protected but i dont use lids on any of my tanks short of white egg crate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow, this thread just took a turn...

I leave my glass tops on primarily for evaporation. Question: okay to top off with distilled water?
Also, the glass tops prevent a lot of dust getting into the tank. It's not like I keep a filthy house, but if you don't dust frequently, it can build up.
Good point on the RCD/GFCI.

To lower my TDS I use a mix of Tap/Distilled with Prime. Straight Distilled is too pure for fish or plants. You'd need to use a remineralizing product.

I have 1 rimless open top 10g in my bedroom. I have a silent canister filter with custom Lily pipes. I use an LED fixture. It is VERY quiet. I've never had a fish jump out, but the tank is heavily planted and has some floating Amazon Frogbit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401899625.780192.jpg

Yes evaporation is much faster.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom