Good beginner plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!

I was wondering what is a good beginner plant! I have a planted 55 gallon aquarium, but I need to take out most of my existing plants. I would like to have a heavily planted tank, but need something tall and quite bushy

I already have an amazon sword which is growing fairly well and some kind of vallis, I don't have a clue about everything else!

I like things like elodea, but I am wondering what sort of nice plants there are that look nice and grow tall, as well as some forground plants!

Thanks!

It is nearly impossible to kill Anubias (fore/mid ground) and Wisteria (background). One of my favorites is H. Corymbosa "Angustifolia", it grows very tall and quite fast.

It partly depends on lighting and ferts. But I like

Ludwigia repens or "red" or other kinds
Bacopa
Crypts ( balansae is tall )
Myriophyllium Mattagrossense

There are many. Look up low light stem aquarium
Plants.

You can see mine on my profile pics. Click on my icon.

I'm a beginner as well and in addition to Anacharis (Elodea) I also have Java fern and Anubias in my tank and they are very easy to keep and very nice to look at. I have them attached to driftwood, but you can also attach them to rocks or decorations as well.

Thanks! Does java fern have to be attatched to wood and decor? If so, how do you attach it?

Thanks! Does java fern have to be attatched to wood and decor? If so, how do you attach it?

Java fern doesn't necessarily have to be attached, but I've heard many people say it does much better out of the substrate. If you do want to plant it, you just have to ensure that the rhizome of the plant is not buried.

However, they are very easy to attach to things. For mine, I set the base of the java fern on a piece of my driftwood, got a few small pieces of brown sewing thread, and tied them lightly around the rhizome and the wood, just enough so that it'll stay put without really putting any pressure on the rhizome itself.

From that point, the plant will begin to (slowly) attach itself with its roots to whatever you choose to attach it to, so eventually you won't need the thread anymore!

I've also heard a dab of superglue works to anchor it to things, but I'm not entirely sure if you need a specific type of glue or if it takes any additional steps to do it correctly.

Thanks! Am I right in thinking that Anubius needs to be attached to wood etc as well?

Yup, I have my Anubias attached the same way as my java fern and it is doing great, they are really nice looking plants!

An easy way to have java fern growing on your substrate is simply tie it or as I did use small elastic bands to attach it to small stones to weigh it down, eventually it will grow and cover the stone which you can remove if you want, or let it grow from the stone into and around the substrate. Works really well, makes it mobile if you keep it on the stone too, allowing you to place them in nooks and holes in driftwood or behind objects around ornaments wherever. Vals are also excellent starter plants.

Super glue is easier. Just make sure to get the GEL type because the runny stuff can get messy.

Mumma.of.two said:
+1
And try not to get any on the leaves or rhizome just the roots. I killed and burned a few doing that. :S

Elastic band sounds quicker and easier to me, no risk of killing the plant and its removable.

Back
Top Bottom